Re: [opensuse] need help with simple Makefile - no rule to make target (huh?)

On 11/01/2010 11:13 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Monday, 2010-11-01 at 23:04 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:

tst_isolv.o : tst_isolv.c isolv_state.h
$(CC) -c tst_isolv.c

I'm late for bed and too sleepy, I can easily be wrong. After a quick compare
with one simple makefile of mine, I think you have an unneeded space before the
colon... Dunno. :-?

Huh? Why is it looking for a target to make tst_isolv.c'? Why doesn't it
just do what I told it to and use 'gcc -c tst_isolv.c'?

I saw that error in my first makefiles, too, years ago, but I don't remember why
it was. If it is as simple as the space... tell me :-)

-- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

Ah... you be sleepy my friend :p

http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Simple-Makefile

Unless the GNU make manual is wrong, the extra space is fine. I removed the
additional space before the colon anyway - no change. Go get some rest. This
will certainly wait until Carlos is well rested :-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC