Re: [opensuse] BIOS/GRUB Problem

On Monday 08 November 2010 16:34:18 Felix Miata wrote:
On 2010/11/08 14:17 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman composed:
A reboot brought the system to its present state, which is that the
desktop is now up partially. The chameleon is still there, with the
progress gauge (with no progress), but the upper-left quadrant is
occupied by the Desktop Folder window. neither the folder nor the
rest of the screen is populated.

This would seem to be progress. What I would like to do is to run fsk
on sda7 again, but I am unsure how to reboot, since there is no
button to do so, and I am reluctant to screw things up again by using
the OFF switch. Actually, I think that switch does an orderly
shutdown before removing power, but I would like to be sure.

1-Switch to 1 of your 6 virtual consoles (Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6]; e.g.
Crtl-Alt-F2) 2-login as root

Fails right here. While the system was sitting here unloved, it has
frozen. The mouse cursor doesn't move, and Ctrl-Alt-Fx does nothing.

3A-init 6 # reboot, or
3B-init 3 # shut down X
4-fsck /dev/sda7 # what you wish
5-init 5 # restart X

If a reboot or X restart does not fix X, try:
6-Switch to 1 of your 6 virtual consoles (Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6]; e.g.
Crtl-Alt-F2) 7-login as root # if not still logged in from #2 above
8-init 3 # shut down X
9-zypper up # refreshes repos & updates installed packages to latest
versions 10-init 5 # restart X
11-report back

As an alternative to #3A, reboot from root login can also be
accomplished using the reboot command, or the shutdown command, both
of which have man pages.

Also, telinit can be substituted for any instance above of init, which
also has a man page explaining what the init/telinit numbers mean.
e.g., 3 produces runlevel 3, which is full system function except for
anything that requires X to work.

Any time you need to reboot while X is dysfunctional, you can prevent
having X start by appending any of single, 1, 2 or 3 to the kernel
line while in the Grub menu or from a Grub prompt. Then after
performing repairs to the X system, init 5 will attempt to start X and
bring up the GDM/KDM/XDM login screen.

To test if your window manager is working without bothering with the
login screen, you can login from any of the virtual consoles as any
regular user (or root if you dare), then run the command startx. Done
this way if the display manager is still not producing a menu that
allows you to exit, you can kill X completely with Ctrl-Alt-BS
Ctrl-Alt-BS.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

  • Re: [opensuse] BIOS/GRUB Problem -- SUCCESS!
    ... progress gauge, ... on sda7 again, but I am unsure how to reboot, since there is no ... accomplished using the reboot command, or the shutdown command, both ... line while in the Grub menu or from a Grub prompt. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: How do I Restart Windows XP Without Restarting the Computer?
    ... it's really only Windows that needs to ... total restart. ... A reboot now is rebooting everything. ... found a little command trick that might help you. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: After reboot, cant use admin Terminal Server on SBS 2003
    ... I like is to schedule a reboot an hour out, using the "shutdown" command. ... restart will restore your access. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: How do I Restart Windows XP Without Restarting the Computer?
    ... > there is a need to restart? ... > According to what I'm told, it's really only Windows that needs to ... A reboot now is rebooting everything. ... > found a little command trick that might help you. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Problem stopping service
    ... Paul, try to discover what is PID that Crystal Report Process - ... After that, in a command line, use the command kill.exe ... > had to reboot) but do not always have the opportunity to reboot this ... > Is there another way to kill the service so that I can restart it again? ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)