[opensuse] Problem with Virtualbox kernel 2.6.36 module

Here it's me again with the kernel 2.6.36 adventures :)

I have been trying to run my virtual machines in virtualbox with no
success so I decided to upgrade packages for upgraded kernel, this means
to install them from Virtualization-kernel-HEAD repo.

The error is about a known issue where the kernel module can't start. So
when I try 'sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' the result is:

***
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 83: log_daemon_msg: command not found
done. done
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 83: log_daemon_msg: command not found
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 281:
/usr/share/%PACKAGE%/src/vboxhost/do_dkms: No such file or directory
done.
done
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 83: log_daemon_msg: command not found
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 299:
/usr/share/%PACKAGE%/src/vboxhost/do_dkms: No such file or directory

Failed, trying without
DKMS
failed
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 83: log_daemon_msg: command not found

Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went
wrong failed
***

Currently I'm booting from desktop kernel 2.6.36 (multiple kernels).

More info:
hernan@hernan-CL:~> rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-pae-2.6.35.1-1.1.i586
kernel-pae-devel-2.6.36-90.1.i586
kernel-source-2.6.35.1-1.1.noarch
kernel-pae-devel-2.6.35.1-1.1.i586
kernel-desktop-2.6.36-90.1.i586
kernel-source-2.6.36-90.1.noarch
kernel-default-devel-2.6.35.1-1.1.i586
kernel-devel-2.6.35.1-1.1.noarch
kernel-syms-2.6.35.1-1.1.i586
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.35.1-1.1.i586
kernel-syms-2.6.36-90.1.i586
kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.35.1-1.1.i586
kernel-desktop-2.6.34.7-0.4.1.i586
kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.36-90.1.i586
kernel-default-devel-2.6.36-90.1.i586
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.36-90.1.i586
kernel-firmware-20100617-24.2.noarch
kernel-devel-2.6.36-90.1.noarch

hernan@hernan-CL:~> rpm -q make gcc linux-glibc-devel
make-3.81-135.1.i586
gcc-4.5-4.2.i586
linux-glibc-devel-2.6.32-3.3.noarch

Virtualbox installation log:
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 303:
/usr/share/%PACKAGE%/src/vboxhost/vboxdrv/build_in_tmp: No such file or
directory

Thanks in advance,

--
Hernán Thiers García
Estudiante de Ingeniería en Informática / I.T. Engineering Student

Home +56 - 45 - 287366
Mobile +56 - 9 - 3779421
Skype: +56 258 13910 # 565 / internaldrums
Twitter: Hernan_CL
Blog: http://hernanthiers.blogspot.com

Temuco, Chile

  • Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox wont open
    ... I went through the same issues when I tried to install the newest virtual box on my suse 12.1. ... Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel ... Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using ... You'll need to do this in the guest machine too when you get it running. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox wont open
    ... Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules ... (Failed, trying without DKMS) ... :-) Bob ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox wont open
    ... Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules ... :-) Bob ... benjie1@linux-0fzk:~> getent group vboxusers ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox: 11.3 host / 11.1 guest - wont install
    ... This is my first effort to run VirtualBox. ... I'm trying to do a network install of 11.1 for now. ... I select that install option on the screen, and it says kernel loading. ... video settings and tried maxing out the virtual video memory? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox wont open
    ... and now it says it wants dkms and extensions and I msut be a ... I went through the same issues when I tried to install the newest virtual box on my suse 12.1. ... Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel ... Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using ...
    (SuSE)