Re: [opensuse] 11.3 on EEE PC 901 with LiveUSB

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:48 AM, C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 17:14, Myrosia Dzikovska wrote:

I've been following this thread.. a bit puzzled... have you:

 1. Plugged in the USB stick before booting the EEE
 2. Booted the EEE and pressed F2 during the boot sequence to go into the BIOS
 3. Set the USB device as the first hard drive
 4. Pressed F10 to save and boot again
(this is the process I follow on my EEE and it works every time)

1. I plugged in the USB stick before booting the EEE
2. I booted EEE and pressed F2 on boot
3. This is where the failure comes: the USB device does not show up as
a hard drive.

There are reports of this floating on the internet, and people seem to
think that the reason is file system type: EEE bios does not recognize
anything other than FAT16 or FAT32 at boot time (though it is fine
with other file system types it once the kernel is loaded). Hence my
question about whether it is possible to easily change the file system
type on the live USB stick

Here's one of the threads mentioning the fs type problem:
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=43611

Interesting.  I've done a lot of installs on various EEE models
without problems.  A friend of mine had a 901 and installed openSUSE
on it multiple times (he was experimenting a bit before committing his
main machine) and he didn't have issues.. *except* the first USB stick
he used caused him problems.  His solution.. use a different brand of
USB stick.  There was something odd about that particular USB stick
that didn't play well with the 901 hardware.  It was one of those free
stick you get at trade shows etc... the replacement that worked was a
branded one from a computer shop.

This may or may not be the same issue here... but I've done installs
on 901s before using USB and had no issues... so it's def possible for
at least some versions of the 901 series.  As for your specific
issue... if I was troubleshooting I'd try a dif USB stick just in case
that's the source of the issue.

Alternatively, do you have a spare USB drive you can use to install?
Installing from USB drive or USB stick is essentially the same
procedure... just one device is bulkier than the other.

C.

I don't know if it could be an issue, but I recently had a situation
where the boot flag in the partition table wasn't set and therefore
the PC refused to use the external drive.

After setting that flag all was well, but this was NOT a EEE.

Greg

  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ USB BOOT ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ... boot external sata on usb ... usb boot disk download ... which usb drives will boot dell ...
    (sci.psychology.personality)
  • Re: soundcard SoundBlaster PCI128 or SoundBlaster live1024 problem
    ... > What messages are you getting from boot log and dmesg? ... ACPI tables contain no PCI IRQ routing entries ... RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 64000K size 1024 blocksize ... USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v2.2 ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Naming harddisks (Linux)
    ... But I also see that for an USB drive it uses /dev/sdas the ... Does GRUB recognize SCSI drives? ... The first step in understanding the boot process is to ... The bootloader's job is to load the OSs kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: USB key requirement.
    ... I figured that after the root partition is mounted (nfs), ... wondering what good means the usb key in this case. ... continue the boot sequence. ... the key would be checked right after the block device is ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: UPDATE: El Torito Boot CD - USB CD-ROM
    ... There should be nothing preventing you from booting from USB CD-ROM as long ... Basically you have to make sure you included USB 2.0 boot component in your ... I can boot other CDs including Windows PE created CDs from the USB CD ROM ... What is different about running Windows XPE from a USB CDROM as opposed ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)