[opensuse] Suse11.3 + Win7 + BitLocker

Dear SUSE fans, beginners and experts,

I have a Win7 system which uses BitLocker to protect the hard drive. I
converted this system to a dual boot system with Suse11.3. I did
following steps:
1. I managed to repartition the system (with Win7 tools) and install Suse.
2. Suse and Win7 are booting both without problems via Grub.
3. I forgot to deactivate BitLocker before the installation of Suse.
After the installation of Suse, when I boot into Win7, I'm was always
asked for the BitLocker recovery key. After decrypting with BitLocker
the Win7 partition I'm no longer asked for the recovery key.

The current state of the system is that Win7 and Suse boot without any
problems, the Win7 partition is encrypted (no BitLocker protection!).
While booting into Win7 BitLocker is no longer asking me for the
recovery key.

Because of "security" reasons the Win7 partition has to be encrypted.
When I try to activate BitLocker again, it gives me following error
message:
"Because of a change of the Computer, the computer
has to be rebooted before the BitLocker Setup."

Well I followed the advice of BitLocker and rebooted the system
several times but BitLocker still brings the same error message. When
I run the recovery tool of Win7 it removes Gub and BitLocker works
without any problems (but I can't boot Suse because Grub is gone :( ).
If I reinstall Grub, BitLocker gives me the same error message. My
current guess is that BitLocker does not like Grub.

At the moment I'm standing infront of following dilemma,I have two options:
1. Dualboot Win7 and Suse but not BitLocker protection or
2. Win7 with BitLocker protection but no Suse (at least no Grub to boot Suse).

I guess this is a standard problem. I'm for sure not the first one who
wants to setup a dual boot system Win7+Suse AND use BitLocker.
Some forums suggest to use the Windows boot loader instead of Grub,
but I'm a little reluctant towards this idea. What is the solution to
this dilemma?

Happy new year and looking forward for your ideas,
Henri

  • Re: =?iso-8859-15?Q?Festplattenverschl=FCsselung?=
    ... Bei meinem Lenovo ist da der Fingerabdruckleser fein integriert, ... Bitlocker unter Win7, ja. ... $AETLERE Versionen nicht. ...
    (de.comp.hardware.laufwerke.festplatten)
  • RE: Bitlocker without PIN
    ... "Transparent" Bitlocker with TPM and direct boot to Windows Logon is not ... The key is stored in the TPM. ... We are just not sure if the extra security worths having the users to type 2 passwords to boot a laptop. ... will do little or nothing to stop an attack inbound from the network or malicious code that has been allowed to execute on the running OS. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Bitlocker and cracked logons
    ... My machine doesn't have a TPM therefore I have to use a USB stick to use Bitlocker. ... When I boot my machine the first thing is asks for is the USB stick, without it I can't do anything let alone get anywhere to change or hack a password. ... So if someone stole my PC they would also need the USB stick with the Bitlocker encrypted code on to access my PC and as that is locked away they might get one item but not the two. ...
  • Re: Bypassing BitLocker in TPM-only (basic) mode...?
    ... it would allow you to authenticate first (which would happen ... If not boot from your HDD the boot ... Bitlocker volumes can be access from the Vista installation environment ... AFAIR only by entering the Bitlocker recovery key ...
  • Re: Bitlocker now disabled
    ... Look in Disk Management and check if your boot partition (Usually S ... BitLocker Drive Encryption. ... you turn Bitlocker off for an encypted drive, ... If you have a change in your boot configuration, you will be asked on boot ...