Re: [opensuse] What is the proper entry for /etc/hosts 127.0.0.1?

Philipp Thomas wrote:
* John Andersen (jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx) [20110103 23:08]:

I have not seen any talk about doing away with it, but the shortage of IP space
would certainly apply pressure in that direction (reducing localhost to a /24 instead
of a /8).
Restricting the range of localhost would be a dumb move as 127.0.0.0/8 has
been in effect for far too long and is embedded in too many devices. Face
it, IPv6 is the only viable way to go.
Even if it was only 127.0.0.0/8, it would only delay the inevitable. IPv4 simply cannot meet the needs of today, let alone the future. The more people try to dream up schemes to extend IPv4, the worse the problem will get. Move to IPv6. I have!