Re: [opensuse] Kernel upgrade gone bad

On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 23:39 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2011-01-09 23:54, Mark Misulich wrote:

I have tried for several months to upgrade to the 2.6.37 kernel in
the various release candidate iterations, as each appeared. But
each installation was unsuccessful, and the operatiing system
wouldn't boot to desktop with the same symptoms as I am about to
describe in the subsequent paragraphs. I ended up downgrading my
kernel back to the 2.6.34 version to allow the operating system to
boot up properly. I did this by using the failsafe mode to boot
up, then using yast to downgrade the kernel-default to
2.6.34.7-0.7.1. The other installed kernel packages,
kernel-default-base, kernel-default-devel, kernel-devel, and
kernel-source remained at version 2.6.37 but everything worked.

You can have several kernels installed. If an update fails, you simply
boot the previous kernel.

/etc/zypp/zypp.conf

##
## Packages which can be installed in different versions at the same time.
##
## Packages are selected either by name, or by provides. In the later case
## the string must start with "provides:" immediately followed by the
capability.
##
## Example:
## kernel - just packages whith name
'kernel'
## provides:multiversion(kernel) - all packages providing
'multiversion(kernel)'
## (kenel and kmp packages
should do this)
## Valid values:
## Comma separated list of packages.
##
## Default value:
## empty
##
multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

That's in 11.3, in 11.2 is a bit more difficult.
2. When kde would normally boot to the kde login screen, I get a
message: Cannot enter home directory using /.

Boot to runlevel 3. It seems your home is not mounted.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Hi,
I am not sure how to get home to mount. I know how to boot to runlevel
3, that is how I found out that there was no home for that kernel. What
is next?

Mark

  • Fatal trap 12 during boot of 5.3-BETA7 installation CD
    ... I've got a Compaq Presario S3500CL desktop machine and every time I boot the ... 5.3-BETA7 miniinst installation CD, ... I've never reported a kernel Fatal trap before, ... pci0: ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Help: Multi OS wont boot some OS - Grub Boot loader
    ... for default installation). ... I can boot only into SUSE and Kubuntu. ... a blank screen while trying to boot Mandriva issues a Kernel panic with the ... # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Minimum Required RPM Packages for Running Fedora
    ... Booting the system is a process that takes several stages. ... consider that the boot process is over before or after the initrc scripts have ... Do you consider a successful boot anything that does not produce a kernel ... you need still more packages. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Lilo: fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda")
    ... After latest upgrade installation of lilo fails. ... # Kernel image management overrides ... # Specifies the boot device. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Kernel 2.4 and ASRock
    ... I've hit a problem with my Linux installation - in that I upgraded to the ... kernel from backports.org and my system hangs during boot. ... during boot with an infinate amount of "Lost Interrupt" errors on my IDE ... K7S8X MB) - and that it is fixed with the 2.6 BIOS upgrade. ...
    (Debian-User)