Re: [opensuse] Kernel upgrade gone bad

On Tuesday 11 January 2011 16:48:14 Mark Misulich wrote:
On Mon, 2011-01-10 at 23:39 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2011-01-09 23:54, Mark Misulich wrote:
I have tried for several months to upgrade to the 2.6.37 kernel
the various release candidate iterations, as each appeared.
each installation was unsuccessful, and the operatiing system
wouldn't boot to desktop with the same symptoms as I am
about to
describe in the subsequent paragraphs. I ended up
downgrading my
kernel back to the 2.6.34 version to allow the operating system
boot up properly. I did this by using the failsafe mode to boot
up, then using yast to downgrade the kernel-default to The other installed kernel packages,
kernel-default-base, kernel-default-devel, kernel-devel, and
kernel-source remained at version 2.6.37 but everything

You can have several kernels installed. If an update fails, you
boot the previous kernel.

## Packages which can be installed in different versions at the
time. ##
## Packages are selected either by name, or by provides. In the
case ## the string must start with "provides:" immediately
followed by
the capability.
## Example:
## kernel - just packages whith name
## provides:multiversion(kernel) - all packages providing
## (kenel and kmp packages
should do this)
## Valid values:
## Comma separated list of packages.
## Default value:
## empty
multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

That's in 11.3, in 11.2 is a bit more difficult.

2. When kde would normally boot to the kde login screen, I get
message: Cannot enter home directory using /.

Boot to runlevel 3. It seems your home is not mounted.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

I am not sure how to get home to mount. I know how to boot to
3, that is how I found out that there was no home for that kernel.
is next?

It seems to me that you installed only the kernel, but not the
necessary modules, which come with the new kernel.

I am not sure how to get home to mount. I know how to boot to
3, that is how I found out that there was no home for that kernel.
What is your experience level with linux? Keep in mind that the (final)
2.6.37 only has been released last week by Linus. Altough there were
development stages before, don't consider this one quite stable yet
under openSUSE.

Here is what you are going to have to find out:
Did you install all the corresponding kernel modules with the new

"Unable to cannocalize /lib/modules/2.6.37/default/system/I..."

Seems to me you didn't. Don't think to lightly about this modules.
Modules are drivers and they are even needed to mount your file

Anyway, you are looking for a way to get out of this shit, so try this:

When you see your GRUB screen, go to you entry and type in the
command line: "init 3". This boots the system in runlevel 3.

When the system is booted, log in as root.

Issue command "mount", it will print all mounted partions.
Issue command cat /etc/fstab, it will print all that should have been

Probably you will find your Home partition somewhere in there. If you
don't know your home partition, try "fdisk -l" this will print all
partitions. If your system is still quite standard, home will be on the
primary disk and it will be the biggest partition. (Eg. /dev/sdaX, where
X is the partition number)

Now try "mount /dev/sdaX /home"

If you get an error here, post it here, as well the output of the
presvious mount and fstab commands. Also I would like you to see
the output of the following command:
ls -R /lib/modules/2.6.37/default (well basically just want to know if
something is there). If the modules are installed, you should get a
shit load of file names on your screen.

After that, try to modprobe your filesystem module. You can find the
type off file system by the previous "cat /etc/fstab" command. Eg for
ext4: "modprobe ext4.ko"

And try again to mount your home filesystem. (Altough I would say this
is only rectifying a symptom, not the disease)

Small note: you can always access yast from the command line. If you
are logged in as root, just issue "yast". Inside yast you can configure
networking (IF THE MODULES ARE INSTALLED!) and install/uninstall

Tim (Muhlemmer)