Re: [opensuse] Kernel upgrade gone bad

On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 21:37 -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 01/11/2011 09:48 AM, Mark Misulich wrote:
Hi,
I am not sure how to get home to mount. I know how to boot to runlevel
3, that is how I found out that there was no home for that kernel. What
is next?

Mark

Boot to runlevel 3 and login as root.

(1) cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

8 0 625131864 sda
8 1 1542208 sda1
8 2 83891430 sda2
8 3 1 sda3
8 5 2048256 sda5
8 6 36861111 sda6
8 7 500786181 sda7

hmm... looks like sda7 is the right size for home on my box.

(2) confirm that with 'grep home /etc/fstab'
grep home /etc/fstab
/dev/sda7 /home ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2

yep, /dev/sda7 is /home

(3) (as root) mount the home partition:
mount /dev/sda7 /home

(4) then check that your /home/lxmark is available

Post any errors you receive.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

When I run these commands to mount the /home partition, I get the
message:

mount: unknown filesystem type 'ext4'

  • kernel panic - one step further.
    ... mount it and find out what commands are run in a boot. ... correct me if I am wrong during the boot process the ... I can see the commands in the linuxrec file that are executed under ... Trinity University ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Problem After Rebooting
    ... > When you boot in rescue mode, you are running off the CD and the ... There is no GUI at runlevel 3. ... the following syntax for the mount command. ... around with Linux after I retired so I could exercise the ole brain ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: OpenSUSE 11.1 Permission Problems +1
    ... Paul J Gans wrote: ... Do you boot directly into runlevel 5 or do you go to runlevel 3 ... If I right click on it I get a menu with mount volume. ... are no front USB ports and the case is under the desk. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] Kernel upgrade gone bad
    ... I am not sure how to get home to mount. ... Boot to runlevel 3 and login as root. ... confirm that with 'grep home /etc/fstab' ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Kernel upgrade gone bad
    ... I am not sure how to get home to mount. ... Boot to runlevel 3 and login as root. ... Seems your kernel does not support ext4 filesystem.... ...
    (SuSE)