Re: [opensuse] ssh X forwarding - what's missing?

Bob Williams wrote:
This is not an answer to the question you've asked, but have you tried sshfs?
It allows you to mount a remote filesystem locally, and I find it runs stuff
faster than ssh -X, because the program is running on your local machine, and
only data gets moved over the link.

There are many applications where you need more than file access. For example, I regularly remotely access yast2 on my firewall via ssh. I'm also currently experimenting with Firewall Builder. Both of these examples have to run on the target computer.

  • Re: Got NFS woes
    ... host allow ... when I set up it to automatically mount it just ... It works on any machine that has ssh running, ... Mounting my providers machine? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: home server
    ... I 've already installed Ubuntu. ... No contest, ssh. ... I have recently discoverd sshfs, great tool and easy to use once set ... take it out and mount will default to 22. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Samba Shared Folders over a WAN link
    ... > mount the share, and work on the remote files just as you would work on ... > with the standard umount command. ... Currently using Satish's SSH Port Forwarding to mount the share. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: external harddrive w/rsync (+ssh)?
    ... NFS services. ... Some of them might run ssh, maybe, but that seems ... mount network filesystems over SMB/NFS. ... disk space can run an rsync daemon, and you can use rsync that way. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: networking ?
    ... There are at least 2 options, nfs and ssh. ... command scp in a terminal on your laptop to copy files. ... about the scp command type "man scp" in a terminal. ... If you want to mount the filesystem of your desktop to your ...
    (Ubuntu)