Re: [opensuse] Absolute beginners trouble

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Richard Creighton <ricreig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OpenSUSE is without a doubt, the overall best distribution currently available EXCEPT
that for the novice, it takes way too much knowledge to make it work "just like
Windows". I think you are looking for something else TO START, and once you get
your feet wet, gain experience, you will probably migrate toward openSUSE simply
because it is so complete, but it is not a good starting point.

Oh I see.

As a former college teacher, I can comment on Fedora, RedHat and others with some
degree of confidence. They are great programs and I recommend them highly, ... as
teaching and learning and development tools and certainly for the experienced or
professional user. They compete favorably with openSUSE in many ways but in my
opinion, fail in the overall test of completeness or ease of use or maintainability,
but are highly competent in virtually any area of comparison.

Ok. Means in all aspects, for professionals and developers open SUSE is better.

So, what *IS* the best? Ubuntu? or Kubuntu? No, certainly very popular, but in my
opinion, and for reasons subject to much debate, way too commercial and subject to
commercial manipulation of their code base should they choose to do so. Others that
you mentioned like 'Cent'? Again, no, not because it is bad, but because it is not
as well supported. No, the one I would recommend is

PCLinusOS

First, take a look at

http://pclosmag.com/

I am first times heard about this OS, PCLinusOS. Ok, I would see that,
but regarding it I have some doubts:-

1. For the persons of different jobs (like me), would it (PCLinusOS)
be supported well? Means afters installation if problem comes, should
I see the sites' help and there I would be supported.

Today evening, my friend told me that he would be coming my home with
the Fedora 10 book (he has bought but didn't use it, not a computer
professional but a general store manager).

2. This book of F10 would help me in case if I am going with a simpler
OS like PCLinusOS. As someone told kernels (must be part of OS) are
same in majority of the Linux distros, I guess this book might help me
in basics.

and PCLinuxOS for anyone that is a 'newbie' or is generally outside of range of normal help channels or just
wants 'Windows' without the hassle and cost and insecurity or older machines, not
well supported by some of the other modern distributions. I use it on my older
machines too because it 'just works' and has a smaller footprint so it is great for a
lot of my own uses as well <grin>.

So ultimately it could be a very good choice as an initiation in Linux.

Frankly speaking, I get very less time in learning or at computers,
but ***WHENEVER I GET*** I needed an OS (in Linux) which could be good
to start, even if I sit sometimes at the box or other. For all this,
as you say, this would be a good choice.

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 12:41 AM, David C. Rankin