[opensuse] kde 4.5.5 on openSUSE 11.2 just died after update

I just updated KDE to 4.5.5 on openSUSE 11.2. I get the kde login
screen, and I can log in to other desktops (ice for example). But when I
log in to KDE, the screen turns white and then black. I get an arrow
cursor. Nothing more. I can restart the X server with the ctrl-backspace
sequence. X is running. The cursor moves. I never get the KDE busy
cursor one sees when KDE is starting.

The repo KDE came from is:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.2/

The chipset is an ATI ES1000. It runs as a non 3D chip. Nothing fancy.

I forced a reinstall of the packages in this repo. No difference.

I tried adding a new user jic. No difference. I see (on a virtual
terminal) that many kde apps are running. But I cannot tell if one is
'stuck' or some important one is missing.

Of course I am at a remote site with limited time. Could it be any other
way? I am sure this is the same release of KDE that I am running on a
few other systems (different hardware of course). I did not expect a
problem.

Where to start?

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696
roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxxx

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden
www.rambollrst.se

  • Re: [opensuse] RE Processors
    ... Cursor kept disappearing; changed to software cursor and now OK. ... KDE on 64 bit dual core and sing../lib64/firefox/firefox.shle core machines ... and apart from the loss of flash in browsers ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Unwanted space preceeding cursor in Konsole
    ... cursor over text that is on the command line: ... Open up "konsole" ... Konsole on KDE 4.4.3 ... help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [kde] KDE themes mouse cursor
    ... It's not the kde version number, ... but you don't say which distribution and this is the kde ... Next, on accessibility, make sure you have the kdeaccessibility package ... The second tab is cursor themes. ...
    (KDE)
  • Likely KDE exploit on 4.1
    ... I now consider it extremely likely that there is a new KDE exploit ... After having trouble with ... a test user and started kde from that user. ... The cursor immediately ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)
  • Re: [kde] Active Desktop Borders, mouse location
    ... virtual desktops make it appear that you are working in one much large ... Is there a configuration option in KDE to make cursor appear on the ... Kevin Krammer, KDE developer ...
    (KDE)