[opensuse] kde 4.5.5 on openSUSE 11.2 just died after update

I just updated KDE to 4.5.5 on openSUSE 11.2. I get the kde login
screen, and I can log in to other desktops (ice for example). But when I
log in to KDE, the screen turns white and then black. I get an arrow
cursor. Nothing more. I can restart the X server with the ctrl-backspace
sequence. X is running. The cursor moves. I never get the KDE busy
cursor one sees when KDE is starting.

The repo KDE came from is:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.2/

The chipset is an ATI ES1000. It runs as a non 3D chip. Nothing fancy.

I forced a reinstall of the packages in this repo. No difference.

I tried adding a new user jic. No difference. I see (on a virtual
terminal) that many kde apps are running. But I cannot tell if one is
'stuck' or some important one is missing.

Of course I am at a remote site with limited time. Could it be any other
way? I am sure this is the same release of KDE that I am running on a
few other systems (different hardware of course). I did not expect a
problem.

Where to start?

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer