[opensuse] 11.4 - madwifi, Why doesn't it respect the network blocks in wpa_supplicant.conf?
- From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 21:49:40 -0500
Here is a strange one. I have used this same laptop with 11.0-11.4. The wireless adapter is Atheros based and uses the madwifi adapter. I have a couple of networks I connect to that don't broadcast the ESSID and to handle this seamlessly without having to reconfigure yast->network devices every time I change between the networks, I have always included the proper network blocks in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. This no longer works in 11.4 and I find myself having to fire up yast->network devices and manually change the ESSID to switch networks (primarily between home and work, but regardless, it is a pain)
In wpa_supplicant.conf, your network blocks are simple brace delimited blocks of data each holding authentication information for a particular wap. On network activation, wpa_supplicant is supposed to step though the network block and connect to the one that is available (has best signal, etc...) That isn't happening. For example, in wpa_supplicant.conf, I have:
Apparently (or something similar to) the ESSID entered in yast->network devices is preventing wpa_supplicant for finding the alternate network when you switch from work to home for instance. (that is -- physically coming home from work and rebooting the laptop at home)
Am I missing a new feature or setting somewhere? This was always simple stuff and I never had to mess with Yast when changing networks before. Anybody have any idea why the alternate network blocks in wpa_supplicant.conf are not getting parsed for a connection? What say the experts?
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx
- Prev by Date: Re: [opensuse] Re: 11.4 - Where did the trailing '/' go in bash-completion for ls??
- Next by Date: [opensuse] Firefox 3.6.x v. 4.0x - Thoughts?
- Previous by thread: [opensuse] [Fwd: FW: [security-announce] Advance discontinuation notice for openSUSE 11.2]
- Next by thread: Re: [opensuse] 11.4 - madwifi, Why doesn't it respect the network blocks in wpa_supplicant.conf?