Re: [opensuse] 11.4 - is 'tracker' 'beagle' in disguise?

On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 20:58 -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Saturday May 7 2011, David C. Rankin wrote:
Guys,

... or is it just another waste of cpu cycles and index db space?

That's so cute. "Waste of CPU cycles and [disk] space."

These things are, for all practical purposes now, unlimited. It's nearly
impossible to actually waste them.

Generally speaking CPU cycles may be unlimited, I guess. But if I have a
measurement application that should do something as close to 'now' as is
possible, these indexing apps reek havoc. They never seem to run as 100%
nice processes. If they did, you would not know they were running. Since
you do notice, they are being less than nice. This is especially a
nuisance in systems that get rebooted often. Seems they like to do some
resource intensive things when they start. As our systems are in
vehicles on the road, they do get powered off/on rather regularly. So we
too nuke these features, preferring the unlimited CPU cycles be
available to our own applications. Of course, YMWV.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696
roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxxx

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden
www.rambollrst.se

  • Re: [opensuse] 11.4 - is tracker beagle in disguise?
    ... David C. Rankin wrote: ... or is it just another waste of cpu cycles and index db space? ... These things are, for all practical purposes now, unlimited. ... impossible to actually waste them. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] 11.4 - is tracker beagle in disguise?
    ... What is the collective wisdom on whether it works or is it just ... another waste of cpu cycles and index db space? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Comodo Firewall
    ... And it would be a waste of memory and CPU cycles in normal mode of ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Bash globbing files only?
    ... > need to do my script with bash and it seems that although globbing for ... Oh, well, I guess I'll need to waste some CPU cycles and launch ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Shuttle lift-off questions
    ... It isn't "wasting space" when one has over a TeraByte available. ... You waste more CPU cycles than you know or would ever admit. ...
    (sci.physics)