[opensuse] Re: Installing both .i586 and .x86_64 version of the same package

Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2011 00:51:09 +0200, Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

Is there a way to do this, short of taking the source rpm, renaming
it, and creating one's own package?

Renaming it won't help. You need a 32 bit runtime package. We have
them in the distribution as packages with -32bit in their names. These
are essentially the bare dynamic libs taken from the i586 packages.
This is so that there is no overlap between the 32 and the 64 bit
packages.

Well, I suspected that, but considered to ask before exploring
other directions. There ain't no 32 bit runtime packages for the
libraries that I need, namely libapr1 and libtcnative-1-0. (I need
to have a Tomcat test environment with 32bit Java.)

How are the -32bit rpms normally created? I wanted to look if there
is a .spec file that creates them from the i586 packages; but
zypper source-install tells me it doesn't find appropriate source
packages for any -32bit.rpm that I tried.

If there is no automatism that I can re-use, I'll probably have to
go forward and write such a .spec file.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the quick answer, it pointed me already to
the right direction.

Joachim