Re: [opensuse] Installation of 11.4 fails: Error 22 for GRUB --- now also Windows disappeared!

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 11:27:20AM -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
This happened to me a while back with 11.4 as well

Felix and others helped me out.
Look back for subject "System hosed"

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I don't know any of the
tools mentioned, and thus I can't transfer it (or just
apply it) to my situation.

It seems that just that boot-record has been deleted/damaged,
and only that needs to be brought back.

Suse used to have a repair-option in the installation-system,
with some generic options. But only "Rescue system" is left,
which is of no use to me, since I have no clue about the commands
which could be used here.

So well, just to try it out, I went to that Rescue system, logged
in as root. And now???
What needed would be a simple menu entry "Restore boot record"
(and I guess that thing could be just stored in memory during the installation ---
100 MB isn't much).

Oliver

--
The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.
-- Henry Bergson, French Philosopher (1859-1941).