Re: [opensuse] Re: chrony and hwclock

On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 19:57 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer said the following on 07/18/2011 06:29 PM:

Can I be sure ntp knows that my 2 hour time difference on the hardware
clock is correct and not an error? Remember that the hardware clock is
UTC time. And we do not all live in that timezone. I can't help but feel
that when a non-localhost server is not found, ntp gets confused about
this.

Many of us who don't like in the UTC timezone can say "it works for me".

I set this all up CLI from the man pages and a How-To a long time ago,
so I don't think I can led you though it, and as hers have pointed out,
my idea of what goes where is a bit confused.

But I don't have the problems you describe.

[Stuff about setting it up by hand deleted.]

The system was set up by YaST during installation. In one of the first
dialogs, I specified that the PC clock was set to UTC time (I had done
this in the BIOS before installation) and I indicated that I was in
Sweden. We do this all the time in all our remote systems and it has
always worked, including things like daylight savings time changes being
automatic.

It is only when I introduced ntp that the mystery appeared. And ntp is
also set up by YaST. I posted my settings elsewhere in the thread.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20