Re: [opensuse] Nvidia vs ATI [OT: Sandy Bridge]

On 07/19/2011 04:36 PM, Stan Goodman wrote:
On 07/19/2011 02:59 PM, Stan Goodman wrote:
On 07/19/2011 01:58 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2011/07/19 13:22 (GMT+0300) Stan Goodman composed:

Sorry, I thought I was clear; apparently I was not. As I said, I had
entered the URL with the browser (Firefox), and tried to<Save as> to
the target directory, and received the error message.

Absent running FF as root, that would be expected behavior.

I did see that the
directory's privileges required root for writing, but wanted to be
certain that this was the only reason for the refusal, because of what
seemed an unclear wording of the error message, so I asked, in the
interest of clarity -- "better to be safe than sorry". My solution last

Without knowing you were trying to save with FF, it wasn't possible to be certain why you got the message you got.
What I wrote was:
*****
I need to ask a question here, to ensure that I not screw the operation up. I have visited the above URL and see that it returns a few lines resembling the content of other files in the target directory. Trying to save it to that directory, however, gets this response:
*****
"Visited the URL" implied to me "browser". "Save", in the context of "browser", seemed clear to me to mean "saving from the browser". I can see that I might have written more explicitly.

night (wee hours), which seemed simple enough, was to save the file
instead to the Desktop, and then, as root, to move it in a terminal to
the target directory.

Saving somewhere other than the ultimate destination, then moving or copying it is usually prudent. That procedure provides some insurance against against overwriting a file for which you have no ready or any backup, and might dearly wish you had.

That is why I do not generally move files, but first copy the original, then delete the original instead.

As I understand from a previous message from you, the presence of this
new file makes it possible for YaST to see newer versions of Xorg;
searching in YaST for "graphics", or "xorg", or "intel", I do not notice

Without adding that repo, YaST Software immediately after an installation was completed but before any updates were applied would show:
xorg-x11-driver-video-7.6-52.4.x86_64.rpm currently installed, which from
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.4/repo/oss/suse/x86_64/ you can see was built in February. It would also show xorg-x11-driver-video-7.6-53.56.1.x86_64.rpm as the newer available version you probably have now which http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.4/rpm/x86_64/ shows was built in April. Compare those to the obviously very much newer xorg-x11-driver-video-7.6-229.1.x86_64.rpm from http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.4/x86_64/ that you'd get now by adding the new repo and updating, and you should see a pretty substantial likelihood that time's been ample to incorporate Sandy Bridge support, even if it hadn't been mentioned elsewhere in the thread that that is indeed the case.
The current driver is now 7.6-53.58.1. I'll update to it now (although I'm not sure this is a necessary step), then add the new repo, and post what happened.

The new repo is installed. YaST shows these two new packages:
xorg-x11-driver-video-debuginfo v7.6.29.1 (also for 32bit)
xorg-x11-driver-video-debugsource v7.6.29.1

I assume I am to compile the source file, probably using the info file. Where will I find information on how to do this?

I've found this page on a blog site: <http://lslezak.blogspot.com/2011/04/installing-latest-intel-graphics-driver.html>. It is a discussion of installation of the graphics on the i5 CPU, so the same hardware I have here. His procedure seems, just at first blush, to be different from that in this thread.

I have to read it more thoroughly.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

  • Re: [opensuse] Nvidia vs ATI [OT: Sandy Bridge]
    ... and received the error message. ... I have visited the above URL and see that it returns a few lines resembling the content of other files in the target directory. ... "browser", seemed clear to me to mean "saving from the browser". ... Without adding that repo, YaST Software immediately after an installation was completed but before any updates were applied would show: ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Nvidia vs ATI [OT: Sandy Bridge]
    ... On 07/19/2011 02:59 PM, Stan Goodman wrote: ... and received the error message. ... I have visited the above URL and see that it returns a few lines resembling the content of other files in the target directory. ... "browser", seemed clear to me to mean "saving from the browser". ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Nvidia vs ATI [OT: Sandy Bridge]
    ... the target directory, and received the error message. ... directory's privileges required root for writing, ... browser, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Has anyone ever had this problem?
    ... Uncheck the Enable 3rd party browser extensions ... If you use a HOSTS file, ... error message box comes up immediately upon double-clicking the icon on my ... "An Error has occurred in Internet Explorer. ...
  • Re: cant link to pdf pages on external sites
    ... I don't know if it's a Mac versus PC issue, but, the following link: ... Here, however, all .pdf URLs that work in my browser also work fine when links are placed in a document in Word 2007. ... I.e., at what point does it fail, and what error message does it provide? ... But, when trying to click the *same* hyperlink in Word 2007, the error ...