RE: [opensuse] Nvidia vs ATI [OT: Sandy Bridge]

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 17:17:04 +0300
From: stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Nvidia vs ATI [OT: Sandy Bridge]

/snip

I've found this page on a blog site:
<http://lslezak.blogspot.com/2011/04/installing-latest-intel-graphics-driver.html>.
It is a discussion of installation of the graphics on the i5 CPU, so the
same hardware I have here. His procedure seems, just at first blush, to
be different from that in this thread.

I have to read it more thoroughly.

/snip

What Ladislav is describing on his blog is the hard way. The first comment on the
blog suggests that there is also an easy way ("I think that you can just enable the
following repo:  http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.4/
that includes the latest intel driver. After that just "Switch Packages" from yast
to this repo").  This easy way is exactly what I and others on this thread have
suggested you to try. On the blog that you quote, it seems some people were successful
using the easy way while others were not.

Strangely, according to Intel's Linux driver page, Sandybridge graphics support is
already in the Q4/10 driver release, and all the components of this driver release
are in OS11.4 - which would explain that someone on this thread had it work out of
the box for him.  However, I myself had the same problem with stock OS11.4 as Ladislav
explains on his blog.  This should be fixed by updating to the Intel Q1/11 release,
either the hard way or easy way as explained above.

There is also a mention on Intel's driver page about mode setting issues in driver release
Q4/10 (equivalent with stock OS11.4), so that may in fact be the problem you got. I do not
understand completely the background of this problem presented on the Intel page, but it is
stated that upgrading the kernel solves it.

So here's what I would do:
1) do the X11 upgrade from the above repo;
2) upgrade the kernel e.g. from Tumbleweed;

I don't think that upgrading the hard way will help on top of these steps as it doesn't give
you anything different than the easy way, except all the headaches of circumventing your
distribution's SW management system, but you could still try that if it is still not working
after step 1 and 2 above.

/K.-H.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

  • Re: [kde] impact on audio playback on high cpu usage
    ... The CPU is a dual core Intel T2050 @ 1.6GHz. ... Audio Controller ... On the netbook, it's the HDA_Intel alsa driver, Intel HD ... my netbook obviously uses the built-in Intel 940GM series graphics ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Inserted Picture from Files Not Displaying in Word
    ... There is certainly a problem with the driver of the 82915G card. ... The intel response is: ... VBIOS as well and should facilitate interaction between the graphics ... IntelDesktop Boards Support Web Site ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Intel 82830M grpahics controller
    ... Driver version is Intel 6.14.10.3762. ... This included rolling out a new Intel driver from the Windowsupdate ... which left a stamp of "IntelExtreme Graphics Driver" in Add/Remove ... home, and when the redock back at the office, the monitor screen displays ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Images disappeared in Publisher 2003
    ... How to Use Driver Verifier to Troubleshoot Windows Drivers ... I assume you installed the driver Intel has on their site. ... I suggest reinstalling the application after all> the graphics controller updates. ... please test> running a clean installation of your operating system and make sure you> install all necessary chipset and device drivers in their correct order> ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher)
  • Re: I want to see graphics that i have inserted into publisher 200
    ... Scroll down to Graphics ... Intel will query your system for the correct driver. ... >> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher)