RE: [opensuse] Nvidia vs ATI [OT: Sandy Bridge]

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 02:47:04 +0300
From: stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse] Nvidia vs ATI [OT: Sandy Bridge]

On 07/20/2011 12:42 AM, Karl-Heinz tm wrote:
Stan,

both Felix and I gave you solutions to your problem (though different methods to do it) but apparently what was help from our side
didn't get you anywhere. Let's just back down a little bit so that we can get this solved.
I am very grateful for your help, as well as for that of others. That
Felix popped up with the one-click installation site was a gift from
heaven, that not only solved the problem in less than a minute, but
also illustrated how much the alternate/competitive paths had disguised
the fact that the process is so simple that it could be reduced to a
simple action by a non-biological player.

What remains is the matter of widening the array of available display
modes. That's for tomorrow.

We need to find out what driver your system is actually using, i.e. if it is correctly using
the Intel driver.  You need to be root for most of the following steps.
Check if /etc/X11/xorg.conf exists on your system - it shouldn't but if it does:
- rename it to something different and restart your system; see if there is a difference to before. You can also
check in xorg.conf what driver is configured - look for a "Driver" section and replace the driver by
intel if it says something different (e.g. vesa).  If you do that, again restart and see if there is a difference.
- ideally xorg.conf does not exist.  Then check the video driver that your system is using by typing
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep intel (note it's a zero between Xorg and log, and a capital X).  This command
should produce lines that contain intel_drv.so if the Intel driver is running; if nothing is output, then try
the above command by replacing the word intel by vesa, to see if the vesa driver is used instead.

Rights, let's go through these steps and see where they take us to.

/K.-H.

Other than that, I am extremely happy with the new board. The audio
system produces speech I can actually hear, which wasn't true with the
former board (R.I.P.). Video clips from news sites play continuously,
with no pauses to recharge the buffers.

Thanks for this note. I'll read it tomorrow; it's nearlt 0300 now.

If you already did the upgrades using the one-click installation then there is nothing
of the actions I described that you still need to perform.  You may double-check the versions
by opening a console and typing (you may need to become root):

rpm -qa | grep video-7 (this should output "xorg-x11-driver-video-7.6.52.4.x86_64.rpm
if it is still the stock OS11.4 version, or "xorg-x11-driver-video-7.6.229.1.x86_64.rpm" if
it is the newer version from the X11 repo)

uname -r (this will output a kernel version number that includes 2.6.37 if it's still the stock
OS11.4 kernel, or something including 2.6.39 after upgrading).