Re: [opensuse] configuring my monitor

On 2011/07/27 12:36 (GMT+0800) George Olson composed:

Just trying to get my new monitor set up. I have a samsung LED monitor,
but the automatic installation just put in some kind of default setting.

How do I adjust the driver settings and find my new monitor to configure
it correctly?

When you have common and unbroken hardware, automagic is supposed to produce ideal results without you trying to configure. You don't have one of the common and well supported gfxchips, so possibly you may not be able to.

Your chipset is K8M890, which includes the "VIA Chrome9™ IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor) core". I have no idea whether this has a supported native driver. If it doesn't, it means the standard VESA modes would be all that are available. AFAIK, there are no widescreen VESA modes. Even if there were, 1600x900 is among the newest and least likely to have VESA support.

Absent exchanging your Samsung 1600x900 for a 4:3 or 5:4 aspect display that VESA supports, and absent a native driver for the VIA IGP (which there may be, I simply don't know), the simplest solution may be simply spending more money, to buy an ATI or NVidia PCIe card and install it. Then automagic should be all you need.

If the motherboard is also new, an even better solution may be to exchange it for one with well supported onboard video (Intel, NVidia or AMD/ATI).

Before doing anything more, provide us access to the output of the command 'lspci | grep VGA', and the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and do a little Googling to find out the status of your gfxchip under Linux, particularly which if any driver besides VESA supports it. Maybe that's what unichrome is for, and either it's not installed, or your chip is newer than the 11.4 unichrome driver supports. Doing 'zypper in xorg-x11-driver-video-unichrome' as root and restarting X or rebooting may actually be all you need to do.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

  • [ANN] TAO 1.8 available
    ... Bugzilla #3336 for the history behind this change. ... Removed MCPP support from TAO_IDL. ... a thread pool based dispatching system for executing deployment actions. ... An Artifact Installation framework has been added to DAnCE and integrated ...
    (comp.object.corba)
  • Re: suncomm, drm, intel
    ... If you have a message from Rob before today regarding the support of this software, you will need to check again, as Rob now has new ... Tiger "broke" the installation of the MediaMax software, and the devs are working to fix this. ... The brochure on SunnComm's MediaMax specifically states "Mac Protection and Compatibility" stating that "For the first time, content can be played and protected on a Mac with the same experience enjoyed on a PC..." ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • RE: help and support doesnt open
    ... when i booted back to normal, i am able to access help and support. ... perhaps i need to repair my windows installation? ... run "regedit" (without quotation marks). ... Check the Typelib registry value: ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: suncomm, drm, intel
    ... If you have a message from Rob before today regarding the support of this software, you will need to check again, as Rob now has new ... Tiger "broke" the installation of the MediaMax software, and the devs are working to fix this. ... The installation does not make a reference to Tiger not being supported. ... The brochure on SunnComm's MediaMax specifically states "Mac Protection and Compatibility" stating that "For the first time, content can be played and protected on a Mac with the same experience enjoyed on a PC..." ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: [SLE] SuSE support
    ... I expect that support reads the ... case history and provide suggestions based on the case history and not on two ... "Installation - Safe Settings" and they tell me "why don't you try ... This time I try to format it from YAST with ext3. ...
    (SuSE)