[opensuse] Port multiplier problem

I recently bought a Sharkoon SATA Quickport Duo

<http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/sata-quickport-duo-v2>,

which is attached to an eSATA port on a SiliconImage SATA RAID card.

I have used this card in the past as an attachment for JBOD SATA drives, which are then assembled into a software linux RAID1 array, but now I just want to use it to connect the above device to the mainboard.

The system will only see one drive at a time. If I populate both drive bays in the Sharkoon Quickport, then neither drive is mountable.

The Sharkoon information says that two HDD operation via eSATA is only possible when the eSATA controller supports Port Multiplier. The SiliconImage website says that the card, which uses their si3124 chip, supports Port Multiplier functionality.

<http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=27>.

My kernel 2.6.37.6-0.7-desktop has the sata_sil24 module loaded.

Can anyone suggest a reason why I'm not able to activate the Port Multiplier function? Am I missing something obvious?

Bob
--
Registered Linux User #463880 FSFE Member #1300
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E

  • Re: SiS chipset works with one SATA disk only
    ... It worked fine with one SATA disk, ... VIA chip was silently fixed by VIA, ... So it's possible a VIA based card might work for you. ... four port card, but as far as I know, it's a two port card, ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: eSATA Drive Question
    ... a new motherboard, and an add on eSATA host controller card,(This uses ... with the host controller when I look at the hardware manager in windows ... SATA during backups. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Changing HDD in External Case
    ... but all they do is take a spare internal SATA ... "eSATA Port adapter bracket". ... It's interesting that your motherboard came equipped with a eSATA port ... SATA HDD to the system. ...
  • Re: Changing HDD in External Case
    ... but all they do is take a spare internal SATA ... "eSATA Port adapter bracket". ... It's interesting that your motherboard came equipped with a eSATA port ... SATA HDD to the system. ...
  • Re: SATA ports
    ... One SATA port to one SATA device. ... was about the inconvenience of one SATA port to one SATA device. ... According to Device Manager the SATA card is working ... cannot find that they have their own web site. ...