Re: [opensuse] openSUSE and HDMI output

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:26:19 -0400
James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a ThinkPad E520, which has HDMI output, in addition to the
traditional VGA. When I connect a HDTV via HDMI, I cannot get the
monitor & TV to show the same thing, unless I set both to 1024 x
768. I can have separate displays at full resolution. Is there
anyway to get both displays to show the same thing, without limiting
resolution. Another issue is when HDMI is plugged in, the audio does
not switch to the TV, leaving audio playing on the ThinkPad built in
speakers. Both of these items work well in Windows 7, where as soon
as I plug in the external HDTV, the video is duplicated and the audio
switched, as it should. Why doesn't openSUSE do this?

I'm running 12.1 RC1, but this likely occurs with earlier versions
too. The BIOS is configured so that the HDMI connection is active.

Given that it's "RC1" and not actually "openSUSE" yet, I would think
your inquiry would be better directed to the opensuse-factory or
opensuse-test lists. [As an aside, it seems just as likely to me that a
more mature / field tested distribution might already have a solution
for this rather hardware specific requirement.] In any case, your
experiences and feedback with RC1 are valuable. The more issues that
experimenters like you 'trip over' the fewer 'bruise' I get, so more
power to you and good luck! :-)

Carl

  • [opensuse] SaX2 configuration of "cloned monitor" over HDMI
    ... I have connected a Sony 40" HDTV 1920x1080p to HDMI out on Nvidia Q.FX 3600M on my hp8710w mobil workstation. ... By enabling dual monitor, cloned modus with SaX2, the video output also goes over HDMI to the second monitor. ... There was no audio available over HDMI to the HDTV, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: HMDI Xbox360?
    ... > connect it to a HDTV, yet, they don't offer HDMI our Digital Outputs? ... It shouldn't be a deal-breaker for anyone with an HDTV. ... in picture quality is mostly theoretical; ... there is an SPDIF output on the A/V cable for the audio. ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)
  • Re: Should I bother sending it in again?
    ... > HDMI cable into the Falcon and Jasper units... ... $50,so I bought one along with my arcade 360, but when I got it home ... cable out of the PS3 just like I already do with the optical audio ... you don't need it if you have audio running from your HDTV as ...
    (alt.games.video.xbox)
  • [opensuse] openSUSE and HDMI output
    ... When I connect a HDTV via HDMI, I cannot get the monitor & TV to show the same thing, unless I set both to 1024 x 768. ... Another issue is when HDMI is plugged in, the audio does not switch to the TV, leaving audio playing on the ThinkPad built in speakers. ... Both of these items work well in Windows 7, where as soon as I plug in the external HDTV, the video is duplicated and the audio switched, as it should. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Apple Mini is so bad, Dell has copied it.
    ... I tried to find out a bit more about that audio option. ... but I would prefer to see these mini ... and optical audio just isn't the same as full HDMI compliance. ... ATI's latest 5x00 GPUs now support it. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)