Re: [opensuse] Question for the hard-disk management experts

On Saturday 29 October 2011 13:19:24 Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2011-10-29 05:04, James Knott wrote:
Felix Miata wrote:
I don't like using any more storage space than necessary for backups,
so
I would use an app that makes a compressed image of the entire HD
instead of DD (DFSee, but likely there's some FOSS that could do the
same).>
I beleive it's possible to run dd through gzip to compress the data.

Man dd shows nothing on "compres" or "zip". You can compress the resulting
image later, of course.

dd if=/dev/sda | gzip - > foo.gz

should work

Anders