Re: [opensuse] small installation help

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So when PC is off, SWAP is empty?

Sort of, unless "off" means suspended. If suspended, it gets reloaded into
RAM at startup. If not, whatever was there at last shutdown is treated as
free and available even though technically not empty.

Also should I make separate root ("/") and home ("/home/") or not,
would it be beneficial in any way(s)?

Usually it makes good sense to create separate / and /home partitions. It
facilitates OS upgrading by not requiring that you backup your data first
and also need to restore it afterward.

Should I allocate the separate memories to each of /tmp, /var, /home,
/, and what is the purpose of doing it separately rather than what the
installer does it by default. Would it be beneficial? However, I am
currently just replacing my Ubuntu LTS with openSUSE and remaining
windows xp intact.

Such an inexperienced user as you would do well to avoid micromanaging
partitions. The most such a person should consider would be separate /,
/home, swap & /boot, and probably not /boot either.

Except -> if you wish to plan ahead for upgrading or experimentation. It
makes sense to reserve an extra same size partition for / (or two or three)
to be used for upgrading to a newer release or for experimenting with a
different distro entirely, or for testing a development release. Having
extra partition for / for this purpose enables upgrading or testing without
materially disturbing your existing installation. I use the word
"materially" because certain user settings can be changed by a newer or
alien release, and such changes can disrupt reversion to your original OS
version. Such disruptions can be avoided by using a different user login
(not sharing data directly) until permanent upgrade or switch is desired, or
doing all testing using only a root login.

Before deciding on partitioning, with or without use of LVM, and before
beginning installation of whatever you download, I suggest some further
reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_volume_management
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Partitioning

Thanks for all this, this would really take much time to read at
first. I would try to read it and get something to know about the
partitioning.
--
Thx.

  • Re: [opensuse] Tiny /boot Partition
    ... /boot and /root are on separate partitions ... It would be nice if you can resize LVM partition. ... Create partitions before you start installation, for instance from Live CD, ... I opted for non-LVM partitions for all of the OS stuff and did away with the separate /boot partition altogether which seems to be the recommendation of more experienced SuSE folks. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Clean reinstal -> cant activate
    ... The ghost-installer created two partitions. ... performance to separate the OS installation and data, ... Are you saying that using a Acer OEM product key on a generic OEM install ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Domain upgrade order.
    ... the domain naming master, as you know, manages partitions. ... Naming Master must be "among the first" to be upgraded but they have ... What Is the harm to the forest in not upgrading the Domain Naming ...
  • Re: What happened to debian - does "stable" keep having any meaning?
    ... On Lu, 21 mar 11, 18:21:09, Jochen Schulz wrote: ... partitions which should not be formatted. ... This looks like a separate issue which you might want to report against ... installation looks like a bad idea to me. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: What is the consensus on the best partition scheme and size?/Keeping home separate
    ... installation. ... it is still much harder than having /home on a separate ... partition and then just letting the installer format the entire / ... I'd rather use partitions, myself. ...
    (Fedora)