Re: [opensuse] c - Segmentation fault on 11.4 - need help figuring out (strtod?)

On 11/03/2011 06:24 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer said the following on 11/03/2011 04:58 AM:
On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 21:34 -0300, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
On 02/11/11 20:49, David C. Rankin wrote:

Thank you Christian! I would have looked at this for days and not
caught the '<=' issue.

Well deserved then :-D , unless you are doing this as a learning
experience or plan to roll such code in an intensive math computing
environment, you are picking the wrong language. python or ruby will do
the trick just fine.

C is never the wrong language. It is the tasks that are wrong :) ;)

Add Tcl to the list of alternatives.

And shell.
The bash shell is an incredibly powerful programming language and very
easy to debug.

<snip>

I actually did the little area calc in bash first :)

for i in 5 7 4 16 9 15 11 13 12; do \
printf "r: %2s area: %7.3f\n" $i $(calc "3.1459265358*$i*$i") \
done

I agree, C is never the wrong language. The reason for the choice was I want my son to have exposure to it and learn the fundamentals before he gets corrupted by whatever the latest trendy flavor of language is they teach in school now. C can do it all, but sometimes it is just takes a bit more effort. Forget the polymorphism and multi-inheritance for now, well structured basic C will more than do anything you need to do and with the flexibility to encapsulate assembler and with tools ranging from X libraries to mysql connector, there really is no language quite as structured or flexible. It's a big step up from the F77 I cut my teeth on :)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

  • Re: [LONG] Re: Why code completion and early error checking are needed
    ... > declarations for the Standard Libraries. ... that would be an ide issue, ... *any* language - without reading the documentation. ... it would be limiting to the power and flexibility ...
    (comp.lang.cpp)
  • Re: QDE (Quick Date Entry)
    ... Also if you want to show the results in the default date setting format ... me an advantage of querying the registry settings. ... This is always a decision between flexibility ... > learn a form of syntax for a very simple display language. ...
  • Re: Early binding as an option
    ... define a function, nothing is ever pre-bound. ... but it's flexibility that most ... language, basically turning some builtins into keywords. ... IIRC, unladden-swallow has tried the JIT route, using LLVM as ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Types in C
    ... flexibility is sacrificed as a consequence. ... If you allow conversions of pointers, ... undefined behavior to access an unsigned int through a pointer to size_t ... probably be just as flexible a language as it is now, ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Obstacles for Tcl/Tk commercial application development ?
    ... good static assurances and flexibility for under-specified systems. ... It is possible to make powerful them enough wrt static assurances. ... The flexibility part is more tricky. ... My pet programming language does the three points above, IMHO very well, ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)