Re: [opensuse] c - Segmentation fault on 11.4 - need help figuring out (strtod?)

On 11/03/2011 06:24 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer said the following on 11/03/2011 04:58 AM:
On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 21:34 -0300, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
On 02/11/11 20:49, David C. Rankin wrote:

Thank you Christian! I would have looked at this for days and not
caught the '<=' issue.

Well deserved then :-D , unless you are doing this as a learning
experience or plan to roll such code in an intensive math computing
environment, you are picking the wrong language. python or ruby will do
the trick just fine.

C is never the wrong language. It is the tasks that are wrong :) ;)

Add Tcl to the list of alternatives.

And shell.
The bash shell is an incredibly powerful programming language and very
easy to debug.

<snip>

I actually did the little area calc in bash first :)

for i in 5 7 4 16 9 15 11 13 12; do \
printf "r: %2s area: %7.3f\n" $i $(calc "3.1459265358*$i*$i") \
done

I agree, C is never the wrong language. The reason for the choice was I want my son to have exposure to it and learn the fundamentals before he gets corrupted by whatever the latest trendy flavor of language is they teach in school now. C can do it all, but sometimes it is just takes a bit more effort. Forget the polymorphism and multi-inheritance for now, well structured basic C will more than do anything you need to do and with the flexibility to encapsulate assembler and with tools ranging from X libraries to mysql connector, there really is no language quite as structured or flexible. It's a big step up from the F77 I cut my teeth on :)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.