Re: [opensuse] Weird network issue

On 11/04/2011 12:05 PM, Rich Coe pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 10:04:27 +0100
Per Jessen<per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rich Coe wrote:

I found the issue. For whatever reason why it doesn't happen on 11.4,
an incoming ICMP Redirect message is coming from the gateway to direct
all traffic to a new gateway.
That definitely also happened on much older releases - it's a standard
network feature. It may be disabled, but probably shouldn't be.
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.9°C)

I only disabled it because the 'route' isn't getting flushed from the
network stack when the network entry is removed.

The redirect poisoned the network stack since I can't connect to the
remote host unless I'm on the network where the redirect originated.

R.

/usr/sbin/routef might be of some help.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

  • Re: [opensuse] Weird network issue
    ... an incoming ICMP Redirect message is coming from the gateway to direct ... all traffic to a new gateway. ... The redirect poisoned the network stack since I can't connect to the ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Weird network issue
    ... all traffic to a new gateway. ... network stack when the network entry is removed. ... The redirect poisoned the network stack since I can't connect to the ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] connection redundancy
    ... which is the router just this side of the ... >>because it's own gateway is still up. ... You'll also need three network cards to put into this Linux box. ... your internal LAN can route packets to the Internet. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Cant access secure Web pages
    ... and which need to be contacted via the Default Gateway. ... The Default Gateway being the software process that does the network ... Gateway (as set up by your ISP's DHCP packet to the router), ... me so I can send it directly (to the MAC address discovered by ARP). ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Problem with Cable Moden & Router.
    ... gateway is the way in or out. ... a gateway leads to another network. ... Where two routes with different network masks overlap ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)