Re: [opensuse] max number of threads limitation on suse

Andreas Jaeger wrote:

On Friday, November 11, 2011 10:48:37 AM Per Jessen wrote:
Mahan Mahdavi Amiri wrote:
Is there a limit on number of threads on suse ?
we ran java test program to determine the maximum number of thread
and it shows 32000.
Is there anyway to increase the maximum number of supported threads
on suse. Thanks.

The system-wide maximum is:

cat /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max

I have a system where it says '147456', another says '12287',
another '111796'. I don't know what this number is based, but you
can probably change it by:

echo 999999 >/proc/sys/kernel/threads-max

It could be based on available memory

I think so too - for the numbers above:

147456 - 8Gb RAM
111796 - 7Gb RAM
12287 - 768Mb
77824 - 4Gb (64bit system).

There is also a default thread stack size, I think - that probably plays
a role too.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.9°C)