Re: [opensuse] 12.1 OK, how do I switch back to if-up control

On 11/19/2011 08:33 PM, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
On 11/19/2011 11:25 PM, Bruce Ferrell pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Hi all,

Not trying to throw jet fuel on a fire, but when I switch to runlevel 3, I have no active network anymore.

It "looks" like systemd configure itself to whatever is running at upgrade time and if you don't have a gui environment, you're kind of screwed. there doesn't seem to be a way to
re-configure to if-up.

I would *really* like a choice between systemd and traditional init. I much prefer system-v.

The option is under "F3" at boot time. Once booted delete systemd package.

Ummm... Hi All... I'm back. It's actually under F5 and the advice to uninstall the systemd package is not too swift... It removes cron, wpa_supplicant and oh yeah, Xorg. Yes, the
system boots, but it's no fun to get running again. So... Lets try this again, how do I change the default from systemd to system V init, given that I can't remove systemd without
gutting my system?

  • Re: [opensuse] systemd the cancer that is killing linux
    ... yet systemd has usurped it. ... built to use in Russia -- the ones that needed TWO rail lines just for the gun ... Nope -- those same resources (in terms of steel to produce gun-tubes and ammunition, and artillery men and officers to operate the things in the field) if put into say, standard 150mm artillery pieces, or even 205mm artillery pieces, would have been far more influential. ... And yet it still isn't anywhere close to achieving it's original purpose -- reducing boot time (as if that's a major concern... ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] systemd boot.local
    ... systemd is asynchronous and runs stuff in parallel whereas the ... My whole point was that running it manually means that things like DNS ... Being dependent on just network services doesn't m1ean that DNS is ... It would show you what was going on at boot time. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: why do we use systemd?
    ... the service won't start at boot time. ... returning to the systemd documentation, which then made much more sense. ... I'd rather learn more perl or elisp or shell scripting than systemd. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Why is systemd[1] is mounting noauto partitions?
    ... No matter how much you whine about systemd it's there. ... it's just something to help help your system boot faster by ... Nobody has yet explained WHY saving a couple of seconds at boot time ... For one, systemd is making APPLICATIONS now dependant on the systemd API, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] SUSE 12.1 .readahead & .config
    ... to be written at boot time, ... It is written by systemd src/readahead-collect.c collectfunction ... and never deleted at the end, either it belongs to /run or there is ... reporter please file a bug report on this one? ...
    (SuSE)