Re: [opensuse] 12.1 OK, how do I switch back to if-up control

On 11/20/2011 10:25 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2011/11/20 22:02 (GMT-0800) Bruce Ferrell composed:

On 11/20/2011 09:39 PM, Felix Miata wrote:

On 2011/11/20 21:28 (GMT-0800) Bruce Ferrell composed:

There should be a way to make DEFAULT do what I want.

Answered correctly before Greg's reply: http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2011-11/msg00904.html

Thank you very much for playing the game, but no Felix, that is NOT correct. It merely make system V init available. It dos NOT make it default. I know, I tried it just today.
Per the posts I received, I installed that, removed systemd and removing systemd removed numerous packages as systemd was marked as a requirement for them.

I didn't write anything about removing anything, only installing. What I wrote worked here on about a dozen systems, but not by removing _any_ of *systemd*. AFAICT,
sysvinit-init does nothing _except_ make sysvinit the default. From the rpm: "Summary: Provides /sbin/init for sysvinit; Description: Just some symlinks."
In fact this is the actual info output:

rpm -qi sysvinit-2.88+-66.58.2.i586

Name : sysvinit
Version : 2.88+
Release : 66.58.2
Architecture: i586
Install Date: Thu 10 Nov 2011 08:27:27 AM PST
Group : System/Base
Size : 39472
License : GPLv2+
Signature : RSA/SHA256, Sat 29 Oct 2011 07:13:53 AM PDT, Key ID b88b2fd43dbdc284
Source RPM : sysvinit-2.88+-66.58.2.src.rpm
Build Date : Sat 29 Oct 2011 07:13:28 AM PDT
Build Host : build33
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Packager : http://bugs.opensuse.org
Vendor : openSUSE
Description :
System V style init programs by Miquel van Smoorenburg that control the
booting and shutdown of your system. These support a number of system
runlevels, each one associated with a specific set of utilities. For
example, the normal system runlevel is 3, which starts a getty on
virtual consoles tty1-tty6. Runlevel 5 starts xdm. Runlevel 0 shuts
down the system. See the individual man pages for inittab, initscript,
halt, init, powerd, reboot, runlevel, shutdown, and telinit for
more information.

Odd... I don't see anything that says "Just some symlinks". What are you looking at?

  • Re: X-window fails to start
    ... I'm searching for way booting to runlevel 3 temporarily on Ubuntu ... install anyway, the default runlevel is 2, and there is no difference ... The diference between init 2 and init 3 is that init 3 has network ... Running Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper with XGL on Fujitsu-Siemens Model Amilo M ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • NSA to release Linux distribution based on Rick Hohensees cLIeNUX
    ... changed the name of /bin in his weird little cLIeNUX distro to /command? ... bundle thier seLinux demo kernel in an end-user oriented no-GUI distro ... For use with Miquel Van Smoorenberg's init. ... Runlevel changes may be caused by system ...
    (alt.politics)
  • Re: Problems Installing FC4 on a small machine
    ... You are in single-user mode, ... which init starts a shell before processing /etc/inittab, ... Runlevel one would not really have to be "single-user", ... If you had no other screens available (the mingetty processes ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: [opensuse] 12.1 OK, how do I switch back to if-up control
    ... Relocations: ... Distribution: openSUSE 12.1 ... Install Date: Thu 10 Nov 2011 08:27:27 AM PST ... Runlevel 5 starts xdm. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Solved! USB sticks not recognized
    ... the USB stick. ... It was mountable after the initial install. ... into runlevel 3. ... USB stick would no longer mount! ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)