Re: [opensuse] Printer/MFC recommendation

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 11:06 +1030, Rodney Baker wrote:
Hi all. I'm just wondering what others on the list are using in the way of MFC
(Multi Function Centre) type printers?

I have a Brother MFC-665CW which I'm thinking of replacing. Brother do have
limited Linux support but I'm sure there's better around.

The prime considerations will be seamless Linux support, ease of operation
(since the wife will be using it too) and decent quality photo printing. I'd
prefer a network-capable unit rather than USB (mainly so it doesn't
necessarily have to be co-located with the PC).

I have an Epson printer/scanner that is also wireless. At least as of
11.2 openSUSE does not really support wireless printers very well. Or at
least not my Epson. I will try 12.1 to see if things are better, since
12.1 does seem to have lots of previously not working things now working
(at least on my Sony laptop). Currently I need to connect the printer
via the USB cable to access it. I strive for a cable-free home. That and
a cure for cancer...

I was at a remote office and set up an HP printer via the HP tools for
Linux that are installed with openSUSE. It was very painless. And, the
tools provide things like a little HP icon on the KDE panel where one
can access print jobs as well as ink and other bits of printer status
info. Almost too easy.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST