Re: [opensuse] Printer/MFC recommendation

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 11:06 +1030, Rodney Baker wrote:
Hi all. I'm just wondering what others on the list are using in the way of MFC
(Multi Function Centre) type printers?

I have a Brother MFC-665CW which I'm thinking of replacing. Brother do have
limited Linux support but I'm sure there's better around.

The prime considerations will be seamless Linux support, ease of operation
(since the wife will be using it too) and decent quality photo printing. I'd
prefer a network-capable unit rather than USB (mainly so it doesn't
necessarily have to be co-located with the PC).

I have an Epson printer/scanner that is also wireless. At least as of
11.2 openSUSE does not really support wireless printers very well. Or at
least not my Epson. I will try 12.1 to see if things are better, since
12.1 does seem to have lots of previously not working things now working
(at least on my Sony laptop). Currently I need to connect the printer
via the USB cable to access it. I strive for a cable-free home. That and
a cure for cancer...

I was at a remote office and set up an HP printer via the HP tools for
Linux that are installed with openSUSE. It was very painless. And, the
tools provide things like a little HP icon on the KDE panel where one
can access print jobs as well as ink and other bits of printer status
info. Almost too easy.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696
roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxxx

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden
www.rambollrst.se

  • Re: [opensuse] Printer/MFC recommendation
    ... I have a Brother MFC-665CW which I'm thinking of replacing. ... The prime considerations will be seamless Linux support, ... I also need to qualify the my dislike of MFC by saying that the high-level copier/printer/scanner/fax solutions like the Sharp AR-M455N with AR-FX12 fax and scan to network modules are NOT included in what I call MFC. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: kodak all-in-one
    ... I e-mailed Kodak, and of course, got a line about no linux support ... I'm currently using a Brother HL1440 laser and an Epson ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: kodak all-in-one
    ... I e-mailed Kodak, and of course, got a line about no linux support ... I'm currently using a Brother HL1440 laser and an Epson ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: printer advice
    ... I cannot testify about the samsung, but Brother has what I would call ... excellent linux support, but you will need to get the correct set of ppd ... me at the correct file to download. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: OpenSuSE 10.3 and Intel Q35 chipset
    ... the time being Intel does not offer Linux support for the built in ... Graphics Media Accelerator 3100. ... FSC P5925 with Intel Q35 and Core Duo CPU ... OpenSuSE 10.3 installs with acpi=off, NIC and X11 work, though no 3D. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)