Re: [opensuse] Re: SSD in openSUSE.

Greg Freemyer writes:
On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 4:47 AM, Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, that I've read. But that was not my use case. My use case is
"SSD firmware uses all sectors for wear levelling after secure
erase". I don't care if the data is still on it.

Does your NDA-knowledge include information about that use case?

Please note that my posted steps include one step to unlock an SSD,
so locked devices are covered.

       Joachim

My NDA knowledge doesn't cover that use case. We were worried about
drive sanitation (getting rid of data.)

But there are rumors of SSDs that immediately return a success upon
receiving a Secure Erase command (ie. less than a second). That seems
pretty hard to believe they were even doing anything with the command.
ie. It takes several seconds to process a full set of trim commands
even from hdparm (which is extremely efficient. See the wiper.sh
script that comes with hdparm. It will invoke hdparm on a few
different filesystems to trim them fully. fstrim is the new
"supported" way, but it is no where near as efficient as how hdparm
does it.)

Thanks a lot for your insightful information. I'll consider that.
FWIW, the secure erase command (via hdparm) on my Crucial SSD needed
some time to return.

Btw, I have forwarded your comments concerning "leave free
unpartitioned space" to some friends of mine who do storage designs
for large providers for a living. AFAIK, they have access to internal
information from disk manufacturers resp. storage subsystem vendors.
If information is returned that I'm allowed to share, I'll forward it.

Best,
Joachim