Re: [opensuse] Re: SSD in openSUSE.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 14:00 +0100, C wrote:
On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 13:39, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
I've been trying to do more digging on this.. came across this on
SlashDot today:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/11/11/30/0344252/is-the-time-finally-right-for-hybrid-hard-drives
Lots of discussion about the lifetime of SSDs etc.  Maybe something
can be extracted/digested.

Extracting useful information from a Slashdot discussion?  That's funny..
Seriously.... I wouldn't bother trying.

Most people link back to one or two "authoritative" articles on SSDs
and lifetime... but in the end it really seems to all be anecdotal,
and no one really knows 100% for sure other than that so far lifetime
seems to be a non-issue outside of the thrashing SSDs can get in a
datacentre (ie it still seems that for home use, it's a case of don't
worry about it

+1.  Just use it and don't worry about it.

, a current/new SSD has a longer life expectancy than
your reg hard drive without any taking precautions for reducing write
cycles).

I'm not sure about "longer life expectancy than your reg hard drive";
but in any case it doesn't matter.  The best thing to do is always: have
a spare.  It doesn't matter what it is;  it your concerned enough about
it [because, I presume, you depend on it] to crawl around the Internet
to verify your configuration .... buy two [and at only twice the price!
].

SSDs do NOT have a reputation for long life. Per word of mouth, they
fail early and have EB (erase block) failures that causes partial data
loss.

(I have NOT seen studies to back that up, it's just anecdotal.)

I suggest for the typical desktop/laptop user, the least of your
concerns should be exceeding max. rated lifetime of writes. General
lifetime is more important.

So while they are extremely fast, I don't consider them as reliable as
rotating disk at this point.

Greg