Re: [opensuse] Possible openSUSE 12.1 install methodology

On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 18:48 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:

Roger,

You seem to be doing this the hard way.

Have you experimented with "osc build"?

The opensuse-packaging list is probably the best place to discuss it
if you have questions. Or maybe opensuse-buildservice?

I already build some things on OBS. Unfortunately, we do use proprietary
libraries for things like 3D cameras and the like. We cannot put those
in the public OBS. We would need to set up a local one. Still, an
interesting idea, I admit.

It does a really nice job of creating a chroot jail to build in. You
can tell it which distro you want to build with and it creates a
entire build directory tree full of all the relevant tools. It will
even check the OBS repos to see if you have all the lastest tools. So
if you are building against 12.1 updates as an example, it will pull
down any updates your missing.

Unfortunately, OBS is limited to (I think) supported openSUSE releases.
11.2 and 10.2 are no longer on that list. We need to maintain build
environments for these older releases. I have done this in virtual
machines. But it is much easier to have a chroot command in a Makefile
than to start and manage a virtual machine to do a build. Especially in
a source tree with many subdirectories, any or all of which may be
rebuilt. A Makefile knows where it is in the tree and can manage
whatever builds are needed. Getting a virtual machine to start and know
which task to perform and to return the results integrated in the parent
build's logs is not a trivial task. Not to mention that a chroot build
does not add the overhead of starting/running a virtual machine each
time one types 'make'.

I have been toying with the idea of setting up a local OBS. The public
one, however, has been fitting the bill quite nicely. So the motivation
to do so has not been so great.

BTW, thanks for all the info. I will keep this post when I play with a
local OBS. Which I know I eventually will.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20