Re: [opensuse] why not openSUSE used grub 2?

On 2011/12/08 01:53 (GMT-0500) LinuxIsOne composed:

I hope that we would be implementing Grub 2 in the coming 2-3 years.

By then maybe Grub2 will be mature enough to make sense in the openSUSE scheme of things, and for openSUSE packagers to understand it well enough to incorporate it into all the different packages it impacts and is impacted by.

Meanwhile, there are other FOSS bootloaders. Not only is there Lilo, but others like AiR-Boot, which might turn out to be better than Lilo, Grub Legacy or Grub2 if given a chance.

On 2011/12/08 08:49 (GMT-0500) Linux Tyro composed:

And yes don't forget that those who created Grub Legacy were
programmers and thus was made suse.

Your logic has a big hole. The first openSUSE release was in September 2005. Previous to that was SuSE (last 9.3), which was not openly developed. Grub Legacy predates 10.0 by years.

Instead of spending so much time continuing this thread, why not devote that time to learning Grub2 so that you can contribute to its incorporation in the modules that will need to be updated in order to make it default?

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

  • Re: [opensuse] opensuse 12.1 Cant see other OSes
    ... openSUSE's Grub isn't what puts stanzas from menu.lsts it finds during installation into the new openSUSE menu.lst it creates. ... That will require both the knowledge and available time investment to make happen, something I don't expect to see before such time as openSUSE devs choose to implement Grub2 fully. ... The problem with that is foreign distros almost always put the bootloader on the MBR, which openSUSE installation again won't be able to cope with until a full implementation is made, so only some foreign distros would ever make into menu.lst entries even via chainloader stanzas. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] opensuse 12.1 Cant see other OSes
    ... why should openSUSE's Grub not see any systems using Grub2? ... installation into the new openSUSE menu.lst it creates. ... before such time as openSUSE devs choose to implement Grub2 fully. ...
    (SuSE)
  • [opensuse] Playing with Grub and Plymouth splash
    ... I have started to play with boot-splash (Grub2 and Plymouth) in order to ... way to update the boot loader. ... But at boot I keep seeing same Grub2 default openSUSE loader. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Grub2 and installing multiple distros on same computer
    ... It can't handle any UEFI system I've got. ... I have to use Grub2. ... is aware of openSUSE when it's installed - it's even listed as a ... the openSUSE install seemed to have no issue at all with a multiboot ...
    (SuSE)