Re: [opensuse] why not openSUSE used grub 2?

Linux Tyro said the following on 12/09/2011 09:36 AM:
Well I just said since I often heard you saying that you are less
aware with hardware technology, so might be you know that better...

You really don't pay attention, do you?

As I've said in so many words, as other have said indirectly, there's
hardware and there's hardware. There stuff about disks as hardware and
there's stuff about disks as hardware.

Even if I knew about hardware disk geometry I might not know about
hardware disk MTBF or hardware disk surface surface metallurgy or the
design of microstepping head actuator motors or the transmission line
effect of the high sped signal capable handling capabilities of the
multi-layer PCB strapped on the back of the disk ... other very specific
bits of hardware[1].

When I was writing disk drivers for UNIX in the days before Linux
existed I did know a lot about disk head movement, track widths,
encoding and error correcting algorithms sand piles of other stuff about
very specific bits of hardware. But not bootstrapping.

As I said, there's hardware and there's hardware.

I'd advise you not to tell people about the limits of their knowledge or
their capabilities. You are sure to be wrong and you are certain to be
insulting.

There is a vast reservoir of knowledge and experience on this forum.
The senior people here have held many roles and done many things in
their past. Don't try telling us what we don't know. Even if we don't
know, we have the skills to find out, to research and experiment.

[1] And Tyro, don't presumes that I _don't_ know about those or other
stuff about disk hardware.
--
Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff.
Frank Zappa