Re: [opensuse] why not openSUSE used grub 2?

Linux Tyro said the following on 12/09/2011 09:36 AM:
Well I just said since I often heard you saying that you are less
aware with hardware technology, so might be you know that better...

You really don't pay attention, do you?

As I've said in so many words, as other have said indirectly, there's
hardware and there's hardware. There stuff about disks as hardware and
there's stuff about disks as hardware.

Even if I knew about hardware disk geometry I might not know about
hardware disk MTBF or hardware disk surface surface metallurgy or the
design of microstepping head actuator motors or the transmission line
effect of the high sped signal capable handling capabilities of the
multi-layer PCB strapped on the back of the disk ... other very specific
bits of hardware[1].

When I was writing disk drivers for UNIX in the days before Linux
existed I did know a lot about disk head movement, track widths,
encoding and error correcting algorithms sand piles of other stuff about
very specific bits of hardware. But not bootstrapping.

As I said, there's hardware and there's hardware.

I'd advise you not to tell people about the limits of their knowledge or
their capabilities. You are sure to be wrong and you are certain to be
insulting.

There is a vast reservoir of knowledge and experience on this forum.
The senior people here have held many roles and done many things in
their past. Don't try telling us what we don't know. Even if we don't
know, we have the skills to find out, to research and experiment.

[1] And Tyro, don't presumes that I _don't_ know about those or other
stuff about disk hardware.
--
Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff.
Frank Zappa

  • Re: Slow XP
    ... Did you update hardware drivers from the manufacturer when you upgraded OS ... When was the last time you checked your hard disk for problems? ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... The system restore feature is a new one - first appearing in Windows ...
  • [HPADM] Re: [hpadm] disk problem
    ... Please check the disk using ioscan, ... Disk at hardware path 10/12.9.0: Hardware failure ... Product Identifier: SCSI Disk ...
    (HP-UX-Admin)
  • Re: Error Message on Server
    ... > file, disk controller error, virus infection, or memory hardware problems. ... Check the hardware manufacturer's Web site for updates to disk adapter ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: Nasty problem with Host Based Volume Shadowing
    ... Perhaps a disk hardware failure on one site (or ... thanks to Shadowing. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: make -j as a stress test (was: Re: Quality of FreeBSD) [WARNING - 6.0-BETA1 still hosed!]
    ... >>While I agree with Karl that introducing instability is a very bad ... Hardware device drivers can be highly tested, ... manufacturers - Maxtor and Hitachi. ... the SAME DISK attached to the motherboard Intel ICH adapter ...
    (freebsd-stable)