Re: [opensuse] question about kernel sources

2011. december 29. 0:15 napon Rodney Baker <rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> írta:

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 03:07:47 Istvan Gabor wrote:
Hello:

I would like to build a 2.6.37 kernel for my opensuse 11.2 which
has 2.6.31 kernel by default.
I thought that I could use kernel sources from the 11.4 repository.
But I don't see clearly what is the difference between
kernel-source-*.src.rpm and kernel-source-*.noarch.rpm
packages, eg:
http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.4/rpm/src/kernel-source-2.6.37.6-0.9
.1.src.rpm and
http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.4/rpm/noarch/kernel-source-2.6.37.6-
0.9.1.noarch.rpm.

I would also thank for links where I can find description/explanation
of the above and how to build a kernel for a different system.

Thanks,

Istvan

On my system I apparently have the noarch package installed. I'm not sure of
the exact difference - I was hoping that YaST2 may have told me in the
description, but no such luck."noarch" makes sense for unconfigured source,
anyway, because the target architecture is configured during installation.

When I build my kernels, I simply download/install the updated sources via
YaST2, copy the kernel config from the running kernel from its source
directory (or from /boot), run "make oldconfig" to configure what's changed
between old and new, then "make xconfig" to check and adjust anything that I
need to modify futher. After that the usual, "make, make modules_install, make
install" sequence. If I was building for another system and didn't want to
copy the entire /usr/src/linux-<version> tree across prior to make install I'd
use rpmbuild, but you need a spec file for that and I've never figured out how
to write one.

Just make sure you set the target architecture appropriately for the target
system if you're building on another machine. It would help to get the config
for the running config off the target machine and copy it to /usr/src/linux-
<version> on the build machine before running "make oldconfig".

I've been building kernels like this since prior to 2.6.3x - the last one was
3.1.0.

Rodney, Greg:

Thank you both for your suggestions.
I will try these methods and will report back.

Thanks again!

Istvan

  • RE: Installation of Red Hat
    ... Installation of Red Hat ... I have downloaded Linux 9 from Fedora but my attempts to get it running ... Subject: kernel sources... ... KDE allowed me to get in and check out the drives from the shell. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Size of kernel modules
    ... I have a machine here which I installed with Ubuntu 7.04. ... after the installation had been finished, ... which contains the Ubuntu-modified sources of the linux kernel. ... currently running kernel to .config and created a file localversion-irb ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • SUSE Security Announcement: various kernel problems (SUSE-SA:2004:044)
    ... The following paragraphs will guide you through the installation ... contain a binary kernel in bootable form. ... verify the authenticity of the kernel rpm package using the methods as ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • [Full-Disclosure] SUSE Security Announcement: various kernel problems (SUSE-SA:2004:044)
    ... The following paragraphs will guide you through the installation ... contain a binary kernel in bootable form. ... verify the authenticity of the kernel rpm package using the methods as ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Redhat 7.2 and Nvidia
    ... Sound Card and Ethernet are on-board NVIDIA chipsets. ... Unfortunately, during the installation, it's said that no precompiled kernel ... Cleaning kernel module build directory. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)