Re: [opensuse] Writing a small book... what should I use?

On 01/09/2012 06:41 PM, John Andersen wrote:
On 1/9/2012 3:31 PM, Roger Luedecke wrote:
On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 00:26 +0100, Bolton Linux wrote:
Would it be written in XML? I use Serna Free to edit the openSUSE books for translation.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone

On 9 Jan 2012, at 23:58, Roger Luedecke<roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm commissioned to start a small book project, and vaguely remember
seeing a wikilike piece of software that would facilitate this well. I
intend to start with a conceptual outline, and then flesh each section
out. Any recommendations?

The idea is I'm going to write what is essentially a draft, then others
will edit it. I tend to work best with an outline, and was wondering if
there was something wikiish that would facilitate it. I think Kjots may
have been what I was seeing. I'm not even remotely familiar with Latex.

Latex is more about typesetting than writing, and its aimed mostly at
technical/scientific writing. It would be a huge distraction to go down that path.

Outlining is something I use as well, and sadly its pretty much missing/useless in
OOo and Libre Office.

You need something that is transportable if others are to edit. And its best if
chapters are separate documents, allowing multiple concurrent editing.

Its too bad that Google Docs is at such a primitive state, because wit would
be good for collaborative editing if it were a little more advanced.

I haven't yet tried installing WordPerfect in Wine, but maybe that would work, if you have it.

--doug

  • Re: [opensuse] Writing a small book... what should I use?
    ... seeing a wikilike piece of software that would facilitate this well. ... To contact the owner, e-mail: ... You need something that is transportable if others are to edit. ... chapters are separate documents, allowing multiple concurrent editing. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Tricky spreadsheet problem, could really use some help.
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Should openSUSE review its Security Policies?
    (SuSE)
  • [opensuse] editing mp4 file
    ... I have downloaded an mp4 file using get_player. ... I would like to edit out bits of it and leave the bits I want. ... To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx ... To contact the owner, e-mail: ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] Runlevels in 12.1?