Re: [opensuse] Ardour missing dependancy and failing to launch in openSUSE 11.4

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 14:17 -0500, Carl Hartung wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 10:38:58 -0800
Roger Luedecke <roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I tried to install Ardour form the Multimedia project repo on OBS. It
said it was missing a dependancy, but I resolved it by ignoring it.
Can't set it back now to see what is missing exactly. If I recall it
had something to do with Raptor. Thought it was odd that a critical
dependency would be unresolvable, so figured it wasn't critical.
Following is what it coughed up on the CLI.
8<---- snipped ----
Is there something I'm missing in resolving this, or is it a packaging
problem? BTW, If I recall this was the same issue with 12.1.

Hi Roger,

This is what generally happens when you ignore missing dependencies. It
"breaks" your system (or makes the installed libraries and packages
"inconsistent."

Here's what I'd do... in a terminal, as user:

rpm -qa --last | less

Make note of any packages that Ardour pulled in when you installed it.

su to root, and:

rpm -e ardour <space separated list of other packages pulled in>
ldconfig
SuSEconfig

This will / should restore the system to it's consistent state.

You can then proceed with attempting to install Ardour again, making
note this time of the missing dependencies so you can hunt them down to
install.

hth & regards,

Carl
I checked and ardour pulled in nothing extra.

  • Re: Linux Vs. FreeBSD
    ... >> has made a lot of effort towards making it easy to install. ... Debian's not a bad distro. ... although packages like this are few and far between. ... since the binary dependencies certainly wouldn't be any ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: How to report bug in build-deps?
    ... it should install all the packages to allow that app to be built. ... do I report a bug in the build dependencies list for an app (there are ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • RE: FC5 - T3 - Had enough. Package Managers, Yumex is crap.
    ... install/update a huge number of packages would stress things out too ... Run "yum update yum". ... Say FC4, where you install it new, then ... dependencies, something that is a major bugbear in Linux that I've not ...
    (Fedora)
  • proper use of aptitude in stable/unstable mixed systems
    ... I have been using aptitude for a while now and prefer it greatly to ... I can pull it in along with its dependencies. ... A machine is running stable with a bunch of unstable packages (e.g. ... apt-get install -t testing logcheck ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: installing gnome-bluetooth on LXDE spin brings in host of packages
    ... I am running the LXDE spin with a host of other packages and I tried to ... Setting up Install Process ... --> Running transaction check ... Dependencies Resolved ...
    (Fedora)