Re: [opensuse] Vanilla kernel in repository

Quoting Lars Müller <lmuelle@xxxxxxx>:
On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 07:10:31PM -0600, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
To deal with my Intel Sandybridge hardware, I am trying the vanilla kernels.
The latest one appears to be misconfigured in the repository.

Have you tried the latest kernel from the 12.1 update repo too?

I am on 11.4, which is still at 2.6.x

# zypper install kernel-vanilla
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following NEW package is going to be installed:
kernel-vanilla

1 new package to install.
Overall download size: 41.1 MiB. After the operation, additional 138.6 MiB will be used.
Continue? [y/n/?] (y):
Retrieving package kernel-vanilla-3.2.0.9429.g90a4c0f-1.1.x86_64 (1/1), 41.1 MiB (138.6 MiB unpacked)
Retrieving: kernel-vanilla-3.2.0.9429.g90a4c0f-1.1.x86_64.rpm [error]
File './x86_64/kernel-vanilla-3.2.0.9429.g90a4c0f-1.1.x86_64.rpm' not found on medium 'http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/vanilla/standard'

Suggestions on who to contact or how to fix it on my end. I've tried
installing several days apart and all attempts failed, so it doesn't look like
a change propagation problem.

Please call

osc maintainer --email Kernel:vanilla

osc requires an account, or at least asks for username and presumably
password. I once had a SuSE beta tester account, but I doubt I can recall it.
This route has too many hoops to jump through. I may yet choose to go this
route, but not today. I have been sick for a week and have no energy for high
demand tasks today.

and file a bug report at bugzilla.novell.com and assign it to the
maintainer the osc tool reported. The osc command is part of the osc
package. I expect it's possible to access the same information via the
web UI.

Be this nice and come back here with the bug ID or better a directly
useable URL to make it easier to follow the issue.

Most of the 3.2.x vanilla kernel links on software.opensuse.org are broken,
i.e., point to non-existent files. The one below works. Haven't booted into it
yet, but the file exists, downloads, and installs without error.

http://software.opensuse.org/search/download?base=openSUSE%3A11.4&file=Kernel%3A%2Fstable%2Fstandard%2Fx86_64%2Fkernel-vanilla-3.2.4-1.1.x86_64.rpm&query=vanilla+kernel

Jeffrey

  • Re: Probably stupid question, but
    ... Flash is in the repos. ... The package contains a script that downloads ... If you manually install it, ... If you need a RT kernel for CAD/CAM work, fine, run the RT ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Upgrading from old Sarge (Testing) to Unstable
    ... > The package I'm most concerned about upgrading is the kernel. ... If you installed it via the debian tools, ie. via a .deb package it will be found in the 'Obsolete and locally created packages' section in aptitude. ... You can later install a new kernel or compile a new kernel, but as said in the release info, I strongly recommend to do this in a separate step: use your existing kernel to see if everything works fine; ... 50% Building Dependency Tree Reading extended state information... ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Yum upgrade from F8 to F9 with KDE desktop - installation notes
    ... nVidia drivers from Freshrpms, and I had to install the latest nVidia driver ... kernel in step 5; once I did that, the dkms package (which gets installed from ... Use your preferred method to install the above file: ...
    (Fedora)
  • SUSE Security Announcement: several kernel security problems (SUSE-SA:2005:044)
    ... please install the update packages. ... Use the following command to determine which kind of kernel is ... Download the kernel RPM package for your distribution with the ... Starting from SUSE LINUX 9.2, ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Using yum to update livna nvidia packages?
    ... >> Yum by default does an install on new kernels and modules. ... >> package and since that comes from livna the issue at that point would ... 6629 drive installed for the existing kernel 2.6.10-1.770. ...
    (Fedora)