Re: [opensuse] Installation Woes

On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 10:14 -0600, Billie Walsh wrote:
On 02/10/2012 09:52 AM, James Knott wrote:
Billie Walsh wrote:
I decided to give openSUSE a try to see how it is. I used SuSE some
years back and drifted away. I downloaded 12.1-64 and burned the DVD [
properly ]. Was a bit surprised to discover that there was a Windows
exe file to install.

I have never had to install any Windows file to install any version on
Linux. Where did you get the ISO file from?

http://www.opensuse.org/en/

Hi,
try this link instead

http://software.opensuse.org/121/en

select direct download
select 64bit
Hit download dvd

When you burn it, make sure your software recognizes its burning a dvd

When you go to install it, select key f12 or whatever is appropriate on
your computer on initial boot to get to the boot order menu in the bios.
It always tells which key to hit in the bios screen which flashes up at
first boot. Select boot from cdrom from the bios menu, and hit enter
making sure that the dvd is in the drive ready to run.

When the dvd loads its first menu on the screen, select Install, and you
will be on your way.

Here is a guide for installation for 11.4, but it is just about exactly
similar for 12.1. I can't find a similar guide for 12.1 in the service
database, but they all say about the same basic things for each version.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:DVD_installation_for_11.4

Have fun!