Re: [opensuse] Installation Woes

On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 10:14 -0600, Billie Walsh wrote:
On 02/10/2012 09:52 AM, James Knott wrote:
Billie Walsh wrote:
I decided to give openSUSE a try to see how it is. I used SuSE some
years back and drifted away. I downloaded 12.1-64 and burned the DVD [
properly ]. Was a bit surprised to discover that there was a Windows
exe file to install.

I have never had to install any Windows file to install any version on
Linux. Where did you get the ISO file from?

http://www.opensuse.org/en/

Hi,
try this link instead

http://software.opensuse.org/121/en

select direct download
select 64bit
Hit download dvd

When you burn it, make sure your software recognizes its burning a dvd

When you go to install it, select key f12 or whatever is appropriate on
your computer on initial boot to get to the boot order menu in the bios.
It always tells which key to hit in the bios screen which flashes up at
first boot. Select boot from cdrom from the bios menu, and hit enter
making sure that the dvd is in the drive ready to run.

When the dvd loads its first menu on the screen, select Install, and you
will be on your way.

Here is a guide for installation for 11.4, but it is just about exactly
similar for 12.1. I can't find a similar guide for 12.1 in the service
database, but they all say about the same basic things for each version.

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:DVD_installation_for_11.4

Have fun!

  • Re: Severe explorer.exe problem - NEED HELP
    ... As for running in Safe Mode, at the moment, I am unable to boot into SM. ... All of the software I have on my system takes days to install ... > FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Leopard DVD Boot failure question
    ... Would the install DVD ... the DVD must first boot. ... the "Install Leopard" icon or after attempting to install Leopard. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: 2 Macs: FW Target DM questions
    ... You can put the Intel Mini into target mode and copy data onto its hard ... and install from there or will it only install from a DVD? ... You have to boot from the DVD to do the installation. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: HELP! PLEASE
    ... I knew about the Administration version of SP2 but I wasn't sure if it ... Ctrl-I during boot, in what order is the boot settings supposed to be? ... >> Can't you download the Network install version? ...
  • Re: Problem mounting DVD
    ... I booted using your floppy into Smart Boot Loader which listed 9 CD-ROM ... None booted using the FC5 DVD. ... the FC5 DVD image and install from there? ... then be able to use the DVD to install or, as before, use a network ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)