Re: [opensuse] USB install can't find source media during 12.1 install

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 12:40:12PM +0800, Frederic Muller wrote:

I'm trying to migrate from another distribution

If you have already a Linux system running on it download the install
kernel and initrd from the /12.1/repo/oss/boot/x86_64/loader/ directory.
The files are named initrd and linux. Next boot them and then you can
install. This process will drop you in the text mode.

and can't seem to be
able to generate the proper install medium to do so:
1. For some reason the DVD burning doesn't work in this release (it
was working with the last one)
2. DVD to USB do works and boot but I end up with getting a "can't
find source media' error message such as the one described here:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-boot-login/444358-cant-find-source-media-during-11-3-install-although-does-boot-iso-dvd.html

This is with 12.1

As a side note the install works on my desktop but doesn't on the
machine I would like to install 12.1 (A X61 laptop).

Lenovo Thinkpad without a DVD/ CD rom drive?

How about using PXE boot?

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team

  • >>>> INSTALL LINUX <<<<
    ... Linux Http Install Syntax ... Install Linux On Usb In Windows ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: The Microsoft stranglehold on its users....
    ... loadlin to boot up linux manually by hand from DOS. ... LILO had bugs and it was a trap because to uninstall LILO you had to get a successful boot into Linux and uninstall it from the utility. ... The latest Red Hat Workstation Linux just loads everything on your box with little or no choices and then around version 7 they started to include CDROM drivers for the new, not the old CDROM drives. ... And, I tried the trick of using the old Linux install to mount the new OS software CDROM disk, copy the whole disk to a different partition, then run the install and that would not work either. ...
    (sci.research.careers)
  • Re: Anyone tried basiclinux?
    ... Don't want to see the dos prompt anymore. ... You are not prepared to use linux yet. ... and wiped out the entire install. ... Boot floppies are a legacy thing nowadays, ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Grub Read Error on 1st boot after install
    ... > I'm new to Linux. ... > won't boot now. ... > install Linux on. ... use a second hard disk rather than just different partitions on ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: Can someone else help? Was changing partition size.
    ... I tried the supposed fix to make Windows 98SE boot up with more ... than a gig of memory but that has not worked either. ... The last time I did that set of changes, it was done by using a Linux LiveCD ... and finish the Win98 install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)