Re: [opensuse] Re: ipv4 forwarding - any known issues?

James Knott wrote:

Linda Walsh wrote:
James Knott wrote:

Hans de Faber wrote:
I see you mention only one default gateway.
If forwarding is a router functionality then each subnet should
have its own default gateway.
Am I correct ?

Absolutely not. While there may be other routes, there can only be
one default route, which is used when no other route matches. It's
used when the router says "I don't know where this goes, let the
next guy worry about it".
Each subnet **could** have a separate default route, since each
subnet may have one single machine that is different for each subnet,
that allows then
got "get out" (to the internet).

I thought we were talking about a router with more than 1 interface.
A router can only have a single default route (ignoring fall back
protection etc.), no matter how many interfaces it has. In your
example
of those single machines, the single default route still applies.
Don't forget, "default" means what you get, if you don't make a
choice. You can't have more than one of those.

Well, actually you have one default route per routing table. I guess
this could be construed as having multiple default routes :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (5.1°C)

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Is it possible to control access between clients on same LAN with a firewall?
    ... same subnet that are protected by the same firewall. ... In my case, the firewall is a home router running DD-WRT, so ... Add a static route to the netbook if you need ... Now add a static interface route to the router's ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: Multiple subnet routing issue from vpn
    ... Then I could disable rras and route that way, ... RRAS or anything else dealing with more than one NIC. ... router for the LAN if required. ... subnet to the other site is doable. ...
  • Re: Multiple subnet routing issue from vpn
    ... If you want a single NIC, which is recommended, go through the motions and ignore the single NIC errors and don't opt for RRAS or anything else dealing with more than one NIC. ... All non-SBS servers can handle routing better, but honestly a Windows server to be used for a router is way overkill in the price and hardware department. ... network and the LAN it is attached to, it is possible to route it through to the other site, but it won't be easy. ... subnet to the other site is doable. ...
  • Re: please advise - problem with routing
    ... and a network is a very important distinction in IP address configuration. ... you show that the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet has two devices ... ROUTE PRINT on NT4 ... ROUTE PRINT on router ...
  • Re: Win2k3 LAN Routing Questions
    ... all you need to do is enable IP routing on the router. ... If there was no other network involved, you simply make the router the ... pretty straight forward as long as you can add a route to your NAT router. ... This is important because this router needs to know where your new subnet is ...