[opensuse] Should openSUSE review it's Security Policies?

As many are aware, Linus Torvalds has started a rant about the
security policies in openSUSE for things that require the root
password. From his Google+
post(https://plus.google.com/102150693225130002912/posts/1vyfmNCYpi5),
he names these:

Time Zone changes
Adding a Printer
Adding a wireless network.

Now, I don't usually see the wireless issue because KNetworkmanager in
KDE3(which I use) has never asked the root password for adding a new
network.

While at 37, I've never changed timezones(I lead a boring life) I
would have to agree that having to use the root password for this
would be annoying if I needed to change it because of a flight or
something.

I've worked with Linus on a hardware issue years ago, and I think we
should probably at least consider reviewing the policies if they do
need changed.

Just my 2 cents.

  • Re: [opensuse] Should openSUSE review its Security Policies?
    ... security policies in openSUSE for things that require the root ... Adding a wireless network. ... KDE3has never asked the root password for adding a new ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Should openSUSE review its Security Policies?
    ... security policies in openSUSE for things that require the root ... Time Zone changes ... Adding a wireless network. ... KDE3has never asked the root password for adding a new ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Should openSUSE review its Security Policies?
    ... security policies in openSUSE for things that require the root ... Adding a wireless network. ... KDE3has never asked the root password for adding a new ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Should openSUSE review its Security Policies?
    ... security policies in openSUSE for things that require the root ... Adding a wireless network. ... KDE3has never asked the root password for adding a new ... fit for a single user device like a laptop. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Linux 2.6.26-rc4
    ... Linus Torvalds wrote: ... should allow us to identify if this was in fact the root cause of the ... Even if it's not a guarantee of a fix (due to reproducing the bug not being entirely trivial), at least I'd like to know that it doesn't introduce any obvious new problems either.. ... Dont expect anything before early next week. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)