On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 08:59 +0100, lynn wrote:
On 03/01/2012 08:38 AM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 00:17 +0100, jdd wrote:
Le 29/02/2012 21:27, Roger Oberholtzer a écrit :

I think the issue is fine-grained permissions.

read man sudoer

* What fine-grained activities currently limited to root could have
configurable access. Like my favorite: network broadcasts.

Hi
Sorry to interfere, but Is that Wireshark? On ubuntu you can launch it
as a user. On openSUSE only root can launch it. Or at least I've not
found a way to do it.

It is software and, more importantly, libraries provided by equipment
vendors. For example, these companies provide SDKs for Linux that have
as part of their procedure the desire to do a network broadcast to
locate things:

SICK AG
(http://www.sick.com)

JAI A/S
(http://www.jai.com/en/)

Allied Vision Technologies
(http://www.alliedvisiontec.com/emea/home.html)

Basler
(http://www.baslerweb.com)

LMI Selcom
(http://www.lmi3d.com/)

There are many more. They too complain that Linux sometimes makes it
more difficult to implement transducer queries than 'the other OS'.
Their techniques are similar to mDNS and such things.

I would use these in my application, as one does. I do NOT repeat NOT
want to run measurement software as root just to satisfy this need.

L x

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696
roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxxx

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden
www.rambollrst.se

  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Should openSUSE review its Security Policies?
    ... configurable access. ... Like my favorite: network broadcasts. ... On openSUSE only root can launch it. ... these companies provide SDKs for Linux that have ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Should openSUSE review its Security Policies?
    ... Like my favorite: network broadcasts. ... On openSUSE only root can launch it. ... these companies provide SDKs for Linux that have ... want to run measurement software as root just to satisfy this need. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Should openSUSE review its Security Policies?
    ... configurable access. ... Like my favorite: network broadcasts. ... On ubuntu you can launch it as a user. ... On openSUSE only root can launch it. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Password
    ... I ran a quick search on Ask with the phrase "linux lost ... Have you ever forgotten your root password? ... Fortunately, it wasn't a boot password, so I did have ... (although "mount" may say it is). ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Subject: Linux hacked ... After you boot up into the OS running from CD, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
    (Security-Basics)