On Thu, 2012-03-01 at 13:02 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

Well, these suppliers provide, quite often, QT apps that allow one to
configure their devices. They need to first locate them. A network
broadcast is what they would like to do. Except on Linux this requires
root permissions.

I'm not at all sure, but isn't this managed with capabilities? There is
a CAP_NET_BROADCAST (although the man page says "unused").

You have my attention. Where is this?

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696
roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxxx

Ramböll Sverige AB
Krukmakargatan 21
P.O. Box 17009
SE-104 62 Stockholm, Sweden
www.rambollrst.se

  • Full network level broadcast in Linux
    ... network programming on Windows. ... allowed on Windows but appears to not be allowed on Linux. ... even tried setting the adapter's broadcast address to 255.255.255.255, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Should openSUSE review its Security Policies?
    ... Roger Oberholtzer wrote: ... A network ... broadcast is what they would like to do. ... Except on Linux this requires ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: WB, UPN networks to merge!
    ... CBS Corporation and Warner Bros. ... Entertainment Form New 5th Broadcast ... Each Company to Hold 50% Interest In The CW Television Network ... New Television Network to Utilize the Best Programming from CBS ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • TNT wants to be the seventh (sixth? fifth?) network
    ... TNT takes on broadcasters ... Network aims for equal advertising prices ... push is on to get the same advertising prices that the broadcast webs ... "The Closer" has been a promotional platform for other TNT originals ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Re: Is my system secure? What else should I do?
    ... > network functionality for my computing activities (browsing, ... My network shows No presence to the outside world, ... browsing and open for secure browsing. ... Linux is no longer protecting the other computers/devices on your local ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)