Re: [opensuse] virtualbox won't open

On 3/21/2012 7:35 AM, C wrote:
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 12:04, Robert Benjamin<benjie1@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Dan, I have read a good part of the manual and did learn things from it
but it is a bit confusing in parts.Will read it over again before starting
the manager. The confusing part for me is about the extensions, USB support,
and whether to choose a fixed or dynamically enlarged disc. Will read stuff
again and then try. Will let you know and thanks again.
Bob
If you want to simply things.... do this (assuming you have installed
VirtualBox 4.1.10):

- Install the VirtualBox 4.1.10 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
from here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads So, download the
extension pack, then start VirtualBox, click on File> Preferences>
Extensions. On the right hand side of the window is a blue diamond
with an orange triangle.. click on it and select the extension pack
you downloaded. This will install the extensions.

- Don't stress about USB support.. it's taken care of by the extension pack

- The difference between fixed and dynamic disks is... If you choose
fixed, then then entire virtual disk you define is reserved on your
host hard drive. If you choose dynamic, then the virtual disk you
define will slowly grow up to but not over the size you define. So...
fixed 8GB disk will be an 8GB file on your hard drive. An 8GB dynamic
disk might only be a 2GB file after installing your guest OS, but it
can grow up to 8GB. Does that make sense?

Defining a new Virtual Machine is easy. Just follow the wizard, and
for your first trials, you are safe to accept the defaults it
presents. The only tweaks I ever suggest is adjusting how much RAM
you give your virtual machine (I recommend never more than 50% of your
Host RAM), and adjusting the Display settings (eg maxing out the video
memory, and enabling 3D acceleration and if you have Windows, 2D
acceleration).

After you install, you definitely want to install teh Guest Additions
in the guest OS as Dennis G mentioned

I hope these tips help... and like the others said.. read the manual..
it's well written, and quite helpful. Also, don't be afraid to ask
for help if you get stuck. the first virtual machine you create is
the most intimidating, but after that it just gets easier :-) and
you'll wonder how you managed without a tool like VirtulaBox.

C.

Thanks guys. I may have goofed here. OpenSuse is on a HD by itself (320 GB). I want win 7 as a guest, but it came installed on a 500GB HD. My HDs are removable, so when openSuse is in the PC it is the only HD in the case. So how can I get win 7 as a guest. I don't have a win CD or DVD. Just the disc that comes with PCs. Don't know how the openSuse host will see win 7 since it isn't in the PC. At this point, I just wanted to run a few win programs. Can I still do this? Thanks again Dennis and C.

Bob