Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox won't open

El 23/03/12 21:58, Robert Benjamin escribió:
On 03/24/2012 12:47 PM, lynn wrote:
El 24/03/12 02:25, Robert Benjamin escribió:
On 03/23/2012 03:27 AM, lynn wrote:
On 22/03/12 21:11, Robert Benjamin wrote:

On 03/22/2012 04:01 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:

On 03/22/2012 03:38 PM, lynn wrote:
On 22/03/12 19:17, Robert Benjamin wrote:

On 03/22/2012 01:58 PM, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
On 03/22/2012 06:39 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:

Things didn't go well. Too many errors for a newbie to
understand. It say to run /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup did that
and now it says it wants dkms and extensions and I msut be a
member of a user group .So one thing at a time and maybe I
can get this working. I put windows as the OS and win 7 64
bit as the version in a box for guest, I think. Well, I am
confused but will not quit. Please continue your great help
from all of you. Thanks so much to all those who are helping
and are so patient. As of now, VBox won't open. Just get one
of several errors - usually the one about the driver in
/etc/init ....... Thanks. Bob

I went through the same issues when I tried to install the
newest virtual box on my suse 12.1.
So when you run
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
(as root or with sudo on (x/k/)ubuntu), what exactly do you get?

most probably,
I then would use your software install tool to install
dkms and
kernel sources
and all of the dependencies that will automatically come up.

Then you might run /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
once again and let us know, what you get as a response.

Do not worry, this will run okay for you, very soon.

regards
Eberhard

Here's what I get as root with /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules done
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules done
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS failed
(Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules failed
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong
What does all this mean. Hope I didn't mess things up too
seriously. Tks again

Hi
It means it can't compile the kernel modules. You need to install
kernel-devel, make and gcc.
HTH
L x

At this point the icon for virtual box won't even open at all. And
I'm not sure how to install what you have above . Guess I use
add/remove software.
Yes. Yast Software Management then search for kernel-devel and check
it, make and check it and gcc and check that too. Then Accept.
You'll need to do this in the guest machine too when you get it
running.
Thanks. Read the how to and will try the things there tomorrow
Thanks for the help again. Bob

Just went to the link you had in the how to and can't find an .iso
there. Not sure which version to get so I'll wait til tomorrow and
see what you suggest. This will work, right? :-) Bob

Yes, it will work. I made the howto because of this thread. There is
a new version. 4.1.10. Use that instead of the 4.1.8 I mention. I'd
forgotten how difficult it was on openSUSE.

You need
1. The VirtualBox rpm from here:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.1.10/VirtualBox-4.1-4.1.10_76795_openSUSE114-1.i586.rpm

2. The extension pack from here:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.1.10/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.10-76795.vbox-extpack

3. The iso for the guest additions:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox
Then click virtualbox/4.1.10
VBoxGuestAdditions_4.1.10.iso is 8th. on the list. rt-click that,
save link as and save it in your /home/bob/.VirtualBox folder.

As you're finding out, Linux is not for mac users!
HTH
L x for the buttons

Hi again. Power surges yesterday. Some things don't work like no
min,max are missing at top, right in all windows. Some old errors are
back in Virtual Box. I removed it from add/remove software and will
re-install as per the instructions above. OK? BTW, any idea how to
get min,max buttons back? Bob

Yes. It will install fine. Just remember NOT to use the openSUSE
versions, but the versions you downloaded.

As for the buttons, Carlos just suggested changing your theme. Had a
go at that yet?
L x

Not sure where to find the theme. Looked around but haven't found it.
Installed VBox with the link you gave me (above) and downloaded the
extension pack and the guest iso but haven't installed those yet. Lost
some emails and printer too, so may repeat questions again if the emails
are gone. Like to get the theme fixed so those buttons come back.

Computer > Control Center > Theme or
System > Control Center > Theme

Readint the help menus still leaves me confused re: the folder icon for
the guest iso

The folder icon is to the right of the field which is displayed at the first input screen after you have started the guest for the first time. It will stay there forever until you OK it _OR_ choose the folder icon just beside it and to its right. After you click the folder icon, a file manager opens and you can browse to Downloads and click your win 7 iso.

and the setup for that. Hope it will run today. :-) Tks Bob

Yes. It will run today:-)
L x