Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox won't open

On 03/25/2012 02:08 PM, lynn wrote:
On 03/25/2012 10:58 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
On 03/25/2012 10:07 AM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
Here's what I get as root with /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules done
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS failed
(Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules failed
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules done
What does all this mean. Hope I didn't mess things up too seriously. Tks again

Hi
It means it can't compile the kernel modules. You need to install kernel-devel, make and gcc.
HTH
L x

Hi It is the 25th and I have trouble with getting anywhere with the start arrow. Here's what comes up: Error box Failed to open a session for the virtual machine bbox. The virtual machine bbox has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1. OK
Press OK and it is back to the start arrow again. Ticked the boxes in Yast as was suggested before for kernel-devel and others. They were already checked. and dkms is not in add/remove software. Using /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup gets the same thing as at the top of this email. So close but ... :-) Bob

Have checked again and kernel-devel and gcc are installed but I'm still stuck at the same place as above. Any way to get out of this rut? Bob

What is the output of:
getent group vboxusers

benjie1@linux-0fzk:~> getent group vboxusers
vboxusers:!:1000: