Re: [opensuse] Is my machine too old for OS 12.1 ?

On 26/03/12 18:32, Paul Ollion wrote:

You are right I entirely agreed with Basil's opinion about Nouveau when I experienced all the troubles it caused ; but I had the most comfortable, fastest and flawless install of OS 12.1 on a recent machine on which Nouveau works so perfectly that I had not even noticed I was using it.

If this noovoo driver works so pefectly why then have I had to use "nomodeset" when installing Milestone #1 and #2, and then when booting into the install, otherwise I got nowhere with the install and then the first boot? In fact, I had to add "nomodeset" in menu.lst so as to be able to login without going thru hoops to do so (until I installed the proper nVidia driver)? And my video card is not something bought at an antique shop: it is a Geforce 7600 GT card and uses the latest nVidia 295.33 driver.

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
Niccolo Machiavelli