Re: [opensuse] Is my machine too old for OS 12.1 ?

On 26/03/12 18:32, Paul Ollion wrote:

[pruned]

You are right I entirely agreed with Basil's opinion about Nouveau when I experienced all the troubles it caused ; but I had the most comfortable, fastest and flawless install of OS 12.1 on a recent machine on which Nouveau works so perfectly that I had not even noticed I was using it.

If this noovoo driver works so pefectly why then have I had to use "nomodeset" when installing Milestone #1 and #2, and then when booting into the install, otherwise I got nowhere with the install and then the first boot? In fact, I had to add "nomodeset" in menu.lst so as to be able to login without going thru hoops to do so (until I installed the proper nVidia driver)? And my video card is not something bought at an antique shop: it is a Geforce 7600 GT card and uses the latest nVidia 295.33 driver.

BC

--
The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
Niccolo Machiavelli