Re: [opensuse] Is my machine too old for OS 12.1 ?

On 26/03/12 18:32, Paul Ollion wrote:

[pruned]

You are right I entirely agreed with Basil's opinion about Nouveau when I experienced all the troubles it caused ; but I had the most comfortable, fastest and flawless install of OS 12.1 on a recent machine on which Nouveau works so perfectly that I had not even noticed I was using it.

If this noovoo driver works so pefectly why then have I had to use "nomodeset" when installing Milestone #1 and #2, and then when booting into the install, otherwise I got nowhere with the install and then the first boot? In fact, I had to add "nomodeset" in menu.lst so as to be able to login without going thru hoops to do so (until I installed the proper nVidia driver)? And my video card is not something bought at an antique shop: it is a Geforce 7600 GT card and uses the latest nVidia 295.33 driver.

BC

--
The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
Niccolo Machiavelli

  • Re: plain 32 bit, PCI video card
    ... that he needs a 32 bit PCI Video card because the built-in ... I think it is a windows problem, because when I boot the box ... Install SP2 if not already present. ... Video card driver. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Blue Screen/shut down
    ... nature photos all evening and it stopped in the middle of ... was a driver installed. ... >You have to install drivers in order for hardware to ... >> Not sure what a driver is, but I'd say no. Video card, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Dimension 4550 BSOD on Boot
    ... MB and video card and all seemed to pass. ... I did Do a system restore to Before the game was ... Get latest driver from nvidia. ... Install directx, install driver. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: driver for ati mobility radeon
    ... I am running a fresh install of etch in an amd64 box. ... ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 video card. ... driver with the radeon module during the installing. ... that the amd64 system mentioned above: ATI Mobility Radeon 9220. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: directx plz plz help
    ... What type of video card do you have? ... Download the latest video driver for your card ... When Windows prompts you to install the video ...
    (microsoft.public.games)